Wind Turbine Technician II
Vestas - American Wind Technology, Inc.
Eustis , ME 04982
Posted 2 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Working as a Service Technician for the leader in wind: Spend your day in a thrilling, yet safe environment working on turbines for the leader of the industry. Vestas has opportunities in our service technician group for you to further expand these capabilities in the wind industry. As a Service Technician at Vestas, the global leader in wind energy, you are part of the biggest team of service technicians in the world, servicing the biggest fleet of wind turbines.
The Service Technician role is to maintain and troubleshoot complex hydraulic and electrical controls circuits to maintain a wind turbine. The customer relies on our safe work practices, technical acumen, teamwork, leadership and fiscal stewardship to maintain the turbines in their best condition to generate power at the lowest overall cost.Responsibilities
- Closely adhere to all safety standards and procedures. Act as a safety champion by intervening when unsafe acts are practiced. Promote / demonstrate safe behavior and practices at all times. Identify gaps in safety standards, protocols, and behavior, as well as safety risks in the operations / environment and implement as appropriate or provide solutions to higher level technical staff and management. Evaluate situations and develop appropriate mitigations to safely complete work scope, including development / approval of Pre-task Plans and defining robust situational isolation protocol.
- Continuously champion and demonstrate integrity and strong initiative, including a focus on safety, execution excellence, and overall Vestas quality performance.
- Perform quality / performance audits of less experienced staff, processes and environment, identify gaps, and either take appropriate action or make recommendations for areas of improvement.
- Perform advanced level operational wind turbine maintenance and/or installation tasks as discovered or assigned, including proficient operation and use of specialized tools and diagnostic processes (e.g. data logger, Vestas Turbine Monitor, boroscope, thermal imaging). Document turbine issues as required and enter data into the company system (e.g. SAP). Interface and manipulate turbine control and mechanical systems to safely conduct service and/or installation tasks.
- Effectively gather information regarding turbine issues and performance. Diagnose, recommend, and implement solutions to complex issues to optimize production output. Effectively partner with Field Support as needed to ensure success in performance and issue resolution. Communicate pertinent information to key individuals. Will be regarded as starting point in “significant” turbine issue feedback loop including the generation, refinement, and validation of Best Practices.
- Use a structured problem-solving process to perform all but the most complex troubleshooting and diagnostics, including use of technical knowledge, documentation, and specialized analysis tools. Use comprehensive root cause analysis tools and process to understand and resolve technical issues at a turbine fixable cause level and participate in systematic root cause corrective action.
- Independently execute and perform most work tasks according to general direction and operational objectives. Review site level documentation, processes and procedures, and schedules for applicability and accuracy, submitting recommendations to appropriate project, site, or department managers.
- May lead 1-2 small projects, demonstrating effective project leadership and delegation.
- Promote and foster strong team environment, not only within technical staff, but across partner departments. Assist teammates in accomplishing operational objectives / goals, as well as mentoring lower level technical staff. Will be a champion for change management initiatives and enables team spirit and cooperation.
- Build and foster effective internal and external partnerships. Interface with customer and respond to customer inquiries. Identify the need to collaborate and do so across internal departments to resolve customer inquiries. May refer complex issues or customer inquiries to higher level technical staff or manager. Demonstrate strong customer focus at all times improving their satisfaction and loyalty.
- This role will require travel and working overtime, including working a flexible and variable work schedule as needed to meet business objectives.
- Three (3) year technical Associate degree or equivalent and minimum one (1) year technical wind turbine experience.
- Demonstrated advanced use of complex power tools such as hydraulic rams, inductive heaters, and diagnostic tools; e.g. advance fluke meter functions, VOB data collection.
- Ability to demonstrate strong working knowledge of all relevant industrial safety practices / protocols including situational energy isolation and risk mitigation.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to obtain a Passport.
- Strong attention to detail and execution excellence.
- Strong interpersonal and customer relation skills.
- Able to effectively collaborate with employees at all professional levels, perform as a champion for change management initiatives, and respectfully follow supervision.
- Basic computer operation skills, familiarity with internet based program navigation, and ability to generate and interpret computer data.
- Strong ability to read, interpret, and understand drawings and schematics to develop procedures, validate work activity, and ensure that risks are identified and mitigated.
- Internal candidates must be certified to Task-Based Certification (TBC) level 300.
- Ability to constantly climb stairs and ladders 60-125 meters in height, in order to access work area.
- Ability to frequently lift, push, pull, and carry items up to 50 lbs in weight.
- Ability to frequently walk, stand, look up/down, balance, stoop, twist, kneel, and bend.
- Ability to constantly grip and manually manipulate, often with repetitive motion, items such as, but not limited to, hand tools and turbine parts.
- Comfort constantly working in confined spaces and at heights over 100 meters.
- Ability to speak, read, comprehend, and write in English.
- Ability to successfully participate in all training courses, including controlled decent.
- Ability to hear and see, including the ability to perceive depth and distinguish colors, sufficient to perform job functions and use close range radios.
- Able to work in demanding physical and inclement weather conditions.
- Comfort working remotely in a Turbine as part of a team with limited supervisory interaction.
- Ability to work in a respirator, including passing a respirator medical evaluation and fit test (required to be clean shaven) as some assignments may require respirator use.