VP Of Finance
Boston , MA 02108
Posted 2 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
SmartLabs is a new approach to providing research scientists with an on-demand, pharma-grade research environment to accelerate scientific discovery and therapeutic commercialization. From newly funded startups to international groups, SmartLabs supports companies as they reach critical milestones. Whether they have one employee or 60, our members look to be part of the major life-science hubs and we get them up and running in just weeks.Our goal at SmartLabs is to minimize any administrative and logistical hurdles these clients face on their way to reaching important research milestones. We provide a turnkey laboratory environment that allows them to focus on scientific discovery from day one. Our staff provides a wide range of skillsets in management, facilities support, operations, administration and many other key functions. If you are an innovative and collaborative professional, come join us!
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
This role will lead the organization in establishing strategies and business processes to support SmartLabs Finance department. The VP of Finance provides both operational and strategic support to the organization. This role will supervise the finance unit and will be the financial spokesperson for the organization. The VP of Finance will report directly to the CEO and assist on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to accounting, tax, financial modeling, including; budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and the securing of new funding.
Strategy, Planning and Management
- Act as the finance strategic business partner to senior executive leadership team.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of organization about short and long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts.
- Provide insight and recommendations to both short-term and long-term growth plan for the organization by developing different financial models that show the impact of the different strategies proposed.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Evaluate departments and make suggestions for automating processes and increasing working efficiency.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the companys plan for growth and expansion.
- Select and engage consultants, auditors and investors.
- Serve as a key member of executive leadership team and round table discussion panel.
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models.
- Implement policies, procedures and processes as deemed appropriate by senior leadership team.
Financial Analysis, Budgeting and Forecasting
- Prepare and present monthly financial budgeting reports including monthly profit and loss by division, forecast vs. budget by division and weekly cash flow by division.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and provide recommendations.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings.
- Develop and maintain monthly operating budget and annual company operating budget.
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Participate in weekly conference calls with lenders, vendors and executive leadership team.
Accounting, General Ledger, Administration And Operations
- Supervise the external accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software. Provide regular maintenance and backup of all accounting systems and supervise company financial staff.
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, SOX compliance and financial procedures.
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data for federal funders, foundations, investors and companys board of directors.
- Oversee the preparation and communication of weekly, monthly and annual financial statements.
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger accounts, balance sheet accounts and overhead cost allocation.
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; Manage preparation and support of all external audits.
- Coordinate and strategize methods used to attain team goals with CEO.
- Manage cash flow planning process and ensure funds availability.
- Supervise Accounts Receivable management and provide guidance relating to the collection process.
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA required
- MBA from top 10 business school preferred
Knowledge & Experience
- Background in Big 4 accounting preferred
- 6 years minimum experience as a Finance Controller (managing $500 million+).
- 14+ years minimum accounting or finance experience
- Outstanding knowledge and understanding of GAAP, IFRS, SOX compliance and SEC reporting
- Background coordinating with IT staff to manage and/or upgrade accounting system, systems implementation experience strongly preferred
- Significant experience working with external auditors, internal controls and compliance-related issues
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability, confidence and executive presence ability to motivate staff
- Excellent analytical, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Amazing Paid Time Off and Paid sick time!
- SmartLabs will cover all your monthly premium costs for Medical, Dental and Vision insurances for you and your family.
- SmartLabs will pay for your life insurance.
- SmartLabs will also provide you with a Health Reimbursement Account of up to $6,750 per year for your family and your health expenses.
- SmartLabs provides its employees with a 401k platform where you will be able to transfer any funds you have or start saving for your retirement.
- Paid Parental leave up to 16 weeks over the first 24 weeks of a newborn baby or an adopted child.
- Snacks, Thursday's Happy hour, Bio-Tech Tuesdays and many other fun activities!!