Veterinary Technician - Denton Veterinary Center
Southern Veterinary Partners
Denton , TX 76201
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Denton Veterinary Center is a 8500 sq. Ft. State of the Art full service hospital. We are a 3 full time-doctor practice located in Denton, Texas. Just 30 minutes south of the Red River and Oklahoma, but 45 minutes north of Dallas Fort Worth, Denton is centrally located in a thriving area. The city offers many family activities as well as a college atmosphere located near 3 universities: North Central Texas College, University of North Texas and Texas Women's University. Also close to Lake Lewisville, many great shops and eateries, as well as county atmosphere, makes Denton a popular and growing community.
Dr. Wuensche has been an avid member of the Denton Community serving clients in Denton County for over 27 years. In 2018 Denton Veterinary Center was voted Best of Denton runner up for Veterinary Hospital.
Our clinic recommends AAHA Best Medicine Practices for our valued clients and their pets. We pride ourselves on offering the very best veterinary service in Denton County being in business since 1991 . DVC is a relaxed and friendly environment, yet poised and exceptional in it's veterinary care for our Denton County residents, as well as other clients and pets that call DVC home.
Our hospital staff is comprised of LVT's and experienced technicians with a combined job experience of over 60 years. Most of our employees have had long job history with DVC, average of 5-6 years. Our Lead and Associate DVM's are big into continuing education and allowing technicians to use their technical skills.
We offer digital radiography, full Idexx laboratory equipment, Ultrasound and Co2 laser for surgical therapy. We also refer to a traveling Orthopedic surgeon that performs Orthopedic and Exploratory procedures in hospital. We have a near paperless system.
The Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech) is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Tech helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order. Vet Techs also communicate with clients (pet owners) and update patient files. This position may perform an initial evaluation of the animals condition, clean and wrap wounds, check vital statistics, collect samples and administer medication.
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, and client education per hospital policy.
- Perform initial evaluation of the pets condition and advise doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples as requested by the veterinarian, i.e. urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Notify the doctor of lab results in a timely fashion.
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements.
- Monitor recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners per hospital policy.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pets record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and perform treatments as directed by the doctor.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
- Licensed or Certified Technician preferred
- High School diploma or GED certificate with two (2) years minimum experience as a Veterinary Technician
- Flexible schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts
- Experience with Avimark and/or Idexx software preferred
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays)
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 1,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!