Veterinary Assistant - Charlotte Street Animal Hospital
Southern Veterinary Partners
Asheville , NC 28801
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
The team at Charlotte Street Animal Hospital is seeking a Full-Time Veterinary Assistant to help provide outstanding patient care and client service in a fast-paced, multi-doctor animal hospital. Our hospital is located near downtown Asheville, a vibrant, progressive city surrounded by the gorgeous mountains of Western North Carolina. A beautiful facility, our practice offers a high standard of veterinary care and a healthy workplace culture.
Because we provide services ranging from first puppy and kitten visits to stem cell therapy, acupuncture, and orthopedic surgery, our team is responsible for a wide variety of duties, and enjoys the opportunity to be challenged and engaged while helping animals. Applicants must demonstrate professionalism, dependability, healthy and positive communication skills, and the ability to multi-task. Our next team member will be an energetic people-and-pet person with excellent work ethic and social and organizational skills. Must be willing to work flexible hours and some Saturdays.
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Assistant helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order. Vet Assitants also communicate with clients (pet owners) and update patient files. This position may perform an initial evaluation of the animals condition, clean and wrap wounds, check vital statistics, collect samples and administer medication.
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, and client education per hospital policy.
- Assisting RVT with radiographs
- Perform initial evaluation of the pets condition and advise doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples as requested by the veterinarian, i.e. urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Notify the doctor of lab results in a timely fashion.
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements.
- Monitor recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners per hospital policy.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pets record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and perform treatments as directed by the doctor.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
- Caring for patients as directed by doctors and RVTs.
- Regular deep cleaning
- Flexible schedule including some evening, weekend and holiday shifts
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term Disability
- Paid Time Off (Vacation & Public Holidays)
- Teladoc- FREE doctor access 24/7
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- EAP (Employee Assistance Program)
- A large network of over 1,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!