Thrift Store Worker
Salvation Army USA
Red Wing , MN 55066
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Responsible for all aspects for the successful operation of the Thrift Store, including the proper receiving and processing of donated materials, properly pricing and displaying of merchandise, assisting customers, and cashiering as directed and scheduled. This is a part-time regular position with a work week expectation of 24 hours per week.
- Greet and assist all customers in a polite and professional manner.
- Assist donors with unloading donations. Evaluate potential donations for acceptability according to the established guidelines. Reject unacceptable donations informing donor of reason item(s) cannot be accepted in a positive and proper manner
- Sort donated goods according to salable or not salable and put into proper area to be priced, discarded, or send to Rochester.
- Price miscellaneous and clothing items according to pricing guidelines.
- Hang clothing and place miscellaneous items on the proper racks or shelving.
- Keep sales floor presentable by re-hanging and straightening merchandise as needed.
- Properly operate the cash register and credit card/check machine accurately entering sales into the proper department, registering the type of payment and giving the correct amount of change. Properly bag or wrap purchases for the customer.
- Answer the telephone as needed and accurately answer inquiries or properly record pick-up information.
- Sort through clothing racks and shelves to pull items which have not sold with-in the designated time. Properly dispose of items.
- Report any needed repairs or unsafe conditions to the store supervisor.
- Perform duties to prepare the store to be opened, including placing start funds into the cash register, turning on lights, checking supplies, and unlocking doors.
- Perform duties related to closing the store, including verifying all customers have left, locking the doors, running closing procedure for register, counting cash register funds and comparing to register "z" tape and placing funds into safe. Shut off lights.
- Prepare daily deposits and reports. Bank money.
- Assist in vacuuming, sweeping, and other cleaning duties as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Personable - able to work with a wide range of customers and staff under often busy and demanding conditions.
Previous retail experience preferred.
Able to handle multiple tasks at once.
Able to operate a cash register and credit card/check machine.
Able to receive and properly record payments and return proper change.
Able to use good judgment under broad guidelines and with minimal direct supervision.
Must pass The Salvation Army background check, and be bondable.
Must be willing and able to work Saturdays and a flexible weekday schedule.
It must be understood by the incumbent that the provisions of Safe From Harm will apply upon commencement of employment and also understood that the required Safe From Harm training be satisfactorily completed within the first thirty (30) days of employment.
Must support the mission of The Salvation Army.