Thermal Engineer-Space Systems
Tyvak, A Terran Orbital Corporation
Irvine , CA 92618
Posted 3 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Tyvak Nano Satellite Systems is a leading worldwide provider of nano- and micro-satellite vehicles, services, and solutions. Small satellites are disrupting the space technology realm by providing increased capabilities at a fraction of the cost of traditional programs.
Tyvak needs an experienced Thermal Engineer. Thermal engineers are involved in all aspects of a spacecraft lifetime. They support spacecraft thermal systems configuration from concept level through design reviews, design verification, and operations. In addition to predictive and analytical work, Thermal Engineers may serve on-console during spacecraft test activities and/or operations which can include periods of off-hours or on call work.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with a multidisciplinary team to reduce thermal risk by identifying the constraining elements of a thermal design and recommend mitigation strategies from concept level to design, production, and operation.
- Work with spacecraft system engineers to reduce spacecraft CONOPS (Concept of Operations) into representative thermal design scenarios.
- Develop thermal models of active and passive thermal designs using a mixture of numerical solutions and hand calculations of spacecraft systems, subsystems, avionics, and mechanisms that predict temperature margins in a variety of space thermal environments.
- Prepare technical documents and PowerPoint presentations, develop thermal verification test plans and support test activities, monitor and correlation test results to model predictions.
- Develop summaries to present results of analysis and tests to Managers, Customers, and/or Stakeholders.
- Develop tools to support concept trade studies and post-processing analysis
- To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- Minimum 1 years experience in thermal analytics utilizing a mixture of numerical and analytical techniques.
- Must possess an understanding of the basic principles of radiation and conduction heat transfer in conjunction with space environment heating effects and parameters associated with spaceflight applications.
- Proven knowledge of spacecraft mission design and associated subsystems.
- Knowledge of environmental requirements, engineering, and testing and hands on engineering project experience including use of data acquisition systems.
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, start-up environment with a strong desire to be a key contributor on a small team.
- Highly responsible team player with positive attitude and excellent communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with Solidworks or other CAD software
- Master of Science degree (years of experience requirement reduced to 0 years with MS).
- Experience developing detailed thermal and simplified thermal models for spacecraft systems, subsystems, and components.
- Proficiency with computational scripting languages (Matlab, Python, Mathematica, etc)
- Strong desire to develop tools to automate repetitive tasks that reduce analysis turnaround time
- Proficiency with Thermal Desktop
- Per the requirement of certain Tyvak facilities, applicant must be eligible to obtain and maintain a U.S. TS/SCI Security Clearance and all special accesses required to work at such facilities.
- Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with Thermal focus (or similar).
- Less than 5%. Will not be regularly required.
Occasional off-site testing support at local test facilities and to support program milestone reviews as needed.
- Salary and benefits are market competitive
- Competitive health benefits, including 100% Company-paid Medical, Dental, and Vision (PPO options available)
- Generous Company-paid holiday schedule
- Accrued Vacation and Sick Leave Time Off package for all full-time employees
Terran Orbital/Tyvak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, veteran status, disability status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.