Analyzes user’s requirements, concept of operations documents, and high level system architectures to develop system requirements specifications. Analyzes system requirements and leads design and development activities. Guides users in formulating requirements, advises alternative approaches, and conducts feasibility studies. Provides technical leadership for the integration of requirements, design, and technology. Incorporates new plans, designs and systems into ongoing operations. Develops technical documentation. Develops system Architecture and system design documentation. Guides system development and implementation planning through assessment or preparation of system engineering management plans and system integration and test plans. Interacts with the Government regarding Systems Engineering technical considerations and for associated problems, issues or conflicts. Ultimate responsibility for the technical integrity of work performed and deliverables associated with the Systems Engineering area of responsibility. Communicates with other program personnel, government overseers, and senior executives.
Twenty (20) years experience as a SE in programs and contracts of similar scope, type and complexity is required. Demonstrated experience in planning and leading Systems Engineering efforts is required. Bachelor’s degree in System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required. Five (5) years of additional SE experience may be substituted for a bachelor’s degree.
· Working with large volumes of multimedia, multilingual content processing systems requiring ingest of multiple formats, audio playback to end users, storage, and retrieval of objects.
· Distributed Peer to Peer content storage and retrieval systems with more than 500 nodes.
· Metadata indexing, metadata summarization, content and metadata data mining, visualization and analytics.
· Experience in developing system performance, availability, scalability, manageability, and security requirements for mid-to-large scale programs.
· Experience in developing technical documentation for issues and/or training.
· Experience in leading agile and/or spiral development models.
· Experience developing solutions integrating and extending COTS products.
· Experience integrating COTS and GOTS products from multiple vendors.
· Knowledge and experience with developing distributed storage routing and querying algorithms.
· Experience implementing storage area networks, data warehouses and data marts.
· Experience optimizing storage, retrieval, back-up, and retention strategies across globally distributed, high throughput, text and multimedia storage and retrieval systems.
· Experience developing and deploying storage within clustered or cloud environments.
· Experience interacting with users and in cross-Integrated Product Team (IPT) environments.
· Experience planning and integrating secure compliant solutions based on legal, policy, and compliance directives. Knowledge and experience with internals of HDFS, HADOOP, and/or HBase/Accumulo BIG TABLE.
- Develop comprehensive SOA solutions
- Develop operational view, technical standards view, and system and services view for architectures using applicable standards
- Conduct and/or approve end-to-end system trade analyses to optimize system operations over its life-cycle through the proper balance of non-functional system performance areas
- Use validated models, simulations, and prototyping to mitigate risk and reduce cost of system development
- Ensure effective, periodic review and control of the evolving configuration of a system, both hardware and software components and associated documentation, during the life of the system
- Serve as a member of the CCB
- Develop system design alternatives that consider life cycle cost, reuse, complexity, risk, system expansion, and growth
- Develop alternative courses of action, workarounds, and fall-back positions with a recommended course of action for each risk, and monitor and re-evaluate risks at appropriate milestones. Monitors risks using earned value management (EVM) data
- Maintain knowledge of current and evolving agency, national, and international standards applicable to the system development of interest. Apply and enforce use of suitable standards to ensure consistency and interoperability of developer hardware and software
- As a participant within an Analysis of Alternatives (AoA) effort, recommend a preferred solution based on selection criteria adjusted for reasonableness and validity of assumptions, technology limitations, environmental impact, and life-cycle costs
- Provide technical direction for the development, engineering, interfacing, integration, and testing of all components of complex hardware/software systems to include requirements elicitation, analysis and functional allocation, conducting systems requirements reviews, developing concepts of operation and interface standards, developing system architectures, and performing technical/non-technical assessment and management as well as end-to-end flow analysis
- Improve standard integration strategies based upon rationale for previous decisions that resulted in improved integration performance
- Fully define interfaces in terms of origination, destination, stimulus, and data characteristics for software; and electrical and mechanical characteristics for hardware