THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (MATES), Position Description Number D1194000 and is part of the MI MATES, National Guard.
Learn more about this agency
This position is located in the Joint Forces Headquarters-State, Logistics Directorate (J-4), Surface Maintenance Facility. The purpose of this position is to perform maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, inspection, and/or overhaul of a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, and special purpose vehicles and equipment.
(1) Troubleshoots, performs maintenance and major repairs on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles.
(2) Troubleshoots equipment and diagnoses the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses test equipment such as engine analyzers, compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters, pressure gauges, and computer diagnostic tools.
(3) Removes and disassembles engines and major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, and fuel, hydraulic, and oil pressure systems.
(4) Independently performs repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems such as injectors, leaking wheel cylinders, corroded mufflers, fuel tanks, brake cylinders and worn brake shoes, voltage regulators, generators, injector pumps, and fuel pumps.
(5) Conducts readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity.
(6) May maintain and repair electronics communication equipment by removing and replacing components and elements.
(7) Assists in the maintenance of production reports and records, and makes recommendations to the supervisor.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
5801 Miscellaneous Transportation/Mobile Equipment Maintenance
Conditions of Employment
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
Must have a valid civilian driver's license.
Verbiage displayed on your resume or application must contain your own words. You may refer to position descriptions, i.e. the general and specialized experience located within the vacancy announcement, to assist with describing work experiences; however, resumes or applications received in verbatim will not be considered.
In your resume you will need to address the general and specialized experience listed below. Please use as much detail as needed, giving dates (months and years) of the experience, position title and how the experience was gained. This information is needed to determine if you are qualified for the position.
Military Grades: E1 - E8
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Your Resume must list some experience in each of these areas:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your Resume must show at least [ 12 ] months in each of the following areas:
No substitution of education allowed for this position.
Department Of Defense