VIEW JOBS1/7/2020 12:00:00 AM2020-04-06T00:00Requisition ID: 86461
As a Superintendent you will play a significant part in the success for Kiewit's Eastern District. You will function as a field supervisor and may have responsibility for multiple Foreman, and/or laborers/craft workers. You with be responsible for the organization, work methods, scheduling, cost control, conformity with drawings and specification, workmanship, and assignment of work to accomplish the execution of the work, either directly or through General Foreman or Foreman. You will also work to maintain positive working relationships with clients, architect/engineer, suppliers, subcontractors, and jobsite staff.
This is a front-line supervisor position reporting to the General Superintendent with responsibility specifically to the civil construction discipline. Our Superintendents set the highest expectations for safety, quality, schedule and cost performance. Their roles and responsibilities are to plan and lead operations to achieve these expectations while working with a team of engineers and supervisors.
* Hiring and training of craft personnel
* Scheduling and directing work crews
* Preparing work plans and Hazard analysis for the work
* Assuring quality control
* Managing and tracking cost
* Scheduling equipment and subcontractors
* Administering safety programs
* Maintaining good owner relations
* Supervise construction projects
* Perform daily inspections of work performed
* Act as liaison and coordinator between contractors and craft employees
* Solve problems that arise.
* Develop 90-day, 3-week and daily schedules for crews, equipment and materials.
* Build on budget and adjust the plan and methods as the work proceeds to improve productivity.
* Must have a minimum of 3 years experience in heavy civil construction.
* Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications.
* Knowledge of construction and engineering principles and practices.
* Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment.
* Must be able to adapt to new surroundings and with new people.
* Must be prepared to attend meetings with customers and owners/general contractors.
* Working knowledge of computers and experience using Microsoft Excel and Word.
* Effective oral and written communication skills.
* Strong organization/time management skills.
* Must have a positive attitude and possess excellent motivational skills.
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We're Different
* Consistently ranked within the top five of the "Top 400 Contractors" according to Engineering News-Record
* Named to the Best Workplaces in Canada by the Great Place to Work Institute Canada for the sixth year in a row
* Extended health, dental and vision insurance where employees can get expert support for work, life, and everything in between
* RRSP plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of weekly base wages
* Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year, in addition to statutory holidays per each province's guidelines
* We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development, and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit believes in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and complies with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.
VIEW JOBS12/18/2019 12:00:00 AM2020-03-17T00:00Overview
The Superintendent is arguably the most important role on a building construction project site—this individual's leadership is often considered the most critical factor in a project's success. The Superintendent is responsible for overseeing and managing all day-to-day job site activities, including project team performance, site conditions, compliance with our "build smart" approach and safety and quality standards, compliance with scope, and effective management of trade partners. A primary responsibility of this individual is to establish and implement the baseline schedule based on the contracts, while proactively addressing challenges that could impact the progress of work and ensuring that the work performed is consistent with the contracted scope
The Superintendent must be an exceptional communicator, negotiator and arbitrator, and will serve as the client's direct point of contact on projects. The Superintendent must be a strong leader, communicator and advocate for team collaboration and innovation, and must have the ability to manage, cultivate and mentor team members to promote their professional growth.
If you are an innovative collaborator and proven performer who enjoys working on teams that deliver superior results, you may qualify for a rewarding career at Suffolk, a construction management firm that is sparking an industry revolution and has consistently been named a "best place to work"!
* Oversee, manage and document all day-to-day job site activities including OSHA safety compliance.
* Direct field personnel according to the project plan and Suffolk supervisory principles.
* Communicate issues, events, performance and progress daily to the Project Manager.
* Report any problems promptly to the Project Manager to facilitate the most cost-effective solutions.
* Establish effective working relationships with clients and Suffolk team members.
* Request advice and assistance from the General Superintendent on matters pertaining to materials, sequencing, scheduling and personnel.
* Project Start-Up/Turnover Meeting
* Identify pre-mobilization activities in conjunction with the Project Executive, General Superintendent, and the Project Manager.
* Develop start-up schedule with Project Manager and send it to the Project Executive and General Superintendent for review.
* Assist in formulating and implementing construction schedules in the field.
* Establish and implement the Project Baseline Schedule based on the project contracts and subcontractor input, taking into account any elements that might impact the schedule.
* Maintain the schedule and ensure that work performed is consistent with the contract and will meet or exceed client expectations.
* Update Project Schedule monthly.
* Provide progress report with the two-week look ahead of schedule to the Project Manager and the field staff.
* Insure that all subcontractors participate in a safety pre-construction meeting prior to starting work on the project.
* Insure that all subcontractors have a full set of MSD sheets on the project, as well as their site specific safety plan and current insurance certificate or OCIP/CCIP enrollment ID.
* Review the project daily to insure that all activities are being performed in accordance with all OSHA and governing requirements and the project site specific safety plan.
* Review safety reports and injury data to assess safety performance on assigned projects.
* Ensure project(s) are budgeted & staffed appropriately to support safety programs.
* Communicate clear expectations for safety to project teams.
* Perform safety inspections using predictive solutions software IAW SCCI safety program.
* Adhere to all Suffolk Safety program requirements.
* Quality Management
* Insure that all pertinent benchmarks for the project are established and inserted into the baseline schedule.
* Insure that all appropriate individuals become members of the Q-Team.
* Insure that all 1st delivery inspections and Benchmark inspections occur per the baseline schedule so as not to impact the progression of the subsequent work.
* Insure that the inspections are approved, documented and communicated to the project team
* Subcontractor and Site Management throughout the Project
* Manage site pre-construction including pre-construction survey, job site utilization and staging plans.
* Mobilize the field office and maintains the job site to Suffolk standards.
* Organize documentation of the job site for easy access and review.
* Manage subcontractor performance to quality and ethical standards.
* Work with PM to identify and resolve personnel issues and construction process revisions.
* Manage all phases of the construction process including documenting and reporting site activities and progress, manage excavations and assist with Job Site Utilization Plan.
* Meeting Management
* Attend project turnover, mobilization and project coordination meetings.
* Attend/ chair safety pre-construction meetings.
* Attend/chair weekly foreman and safety meetings.
* Attend/chair monthly schedule review meetings.
* Attend closeout meetings.
* Attend owner meetings.
* Attend/chair subcontractor meetings and any others necessary to monitor and manage the project.
* Administrative Management
* Complete and implement construction office checklists including emergency phone lists.
* Complete daily reports and maintains logs of key activities, files and shop drawings.
* Manage the quality and condition of all material deliveries.
* Maintain required safety reporting and all other required files to Suffolk standards.
* Insure that as-built working drawings are maintained as well as the current drawing log and revision log, communicating this to the subcontractors.
* Project Closeout
* Manage subcontractor closeout, transfer of utilities, owner training, work list and punch list.
* Bachelor's degree in applicable discipline and experience relative to project size/scope.
* 4 to 6 years of experience in related construction fields.
* Each project has specific characteristics regarding size, complexity, sector, etc. which dictate the precise years of experience and industry knowledge necessary for success, above and beyond generic construction knowledge and experience.
* Applicable area licenses.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stands; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
Suffolk provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law. This policy applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Suffolk will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination toward, or harassment of, applicants or employees by anyone at Suffolk, or anyone working on behalf of Suffolk
Suffolk ConstructionNew YorkNY
VIEW JOBS11/22/2019 12:00:00 AM2020-02-20T00:00Overview
Since our founding in 1982, Shawmut Design and Construction (a 100% employee-owned company) has been recognized as a Best Place to Work 60 times by our employee-owners. At Shawmut, you will have the opportunity to own your career and deliver impact within our culture of ownership and innovation focused around providing the gold standard of client service for the world's most recognizable and elite brands and institutions.
We are currently looking for Project Superintendents to join our Tristate team in New York City. Do you enjoy building incredible, challenging, rewarding projects? Our Superintendents have the daily support to excel in their role and make sure all our amazing projects are completed to the highest standard.
* Lead all daily field operations to ensure proper site safety, construction, progress, quality control and a clean site
* Develop comprehensive understanding of project strategy and commitments including financial goals, scheduling, logistics, phasing, milestones, inspections
* Work in partnership with PM to maintain an updated and accurate project schedule that reflects the changes in project status and that meets the cost and time requirements of the project
* Demonstrate and maintain effective and open dialogue with the project team regarding changes in work, job conditions, subcontractor relations and any deviation in the direction of the project
* Always promotes positive relationships by dealing expertly and fairly with all subcontractors and vendors while instilling this philosophy in the project team
* 7+ years' experience as a Project Superintendent in both a union and non-union environment at a general contractor
* Experience in managing, training and developing people
* Project experience should include out of the ground, renovation work in occupied and unoccupied environments, urban and suburban work locations, and a complete understanding of high-level finishes
* You will have experience with complex, fast paced, and high visibility projects
* This is a local position. Candidates must reside a commutable distance to our Tristate office - no per diem offered
Shawmut prohibits discrimination against any staff member or applicant on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, disability, creed, citizenship status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Shawmut Design And ConstructionNew YorkNY