Staff Power Electronics Engineer
Elgin , IL 60120
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Zunum Aero has an immediate opening for an experienced staff power electronics engineer for development of hybrid-electric powertrain for regional aircraft. Candidate must have at least 12 years of experience with power electronics, preferably in aviation, or with high-power mobile applications. Candidate should be knowledgeable in electric motor driven fans.
Zunum is an emerging leader in hybrid-electric propulsion for aircraft; this position is a unique opportunity to work with a small, dynamic team of dedicated engineers on the next generation of aircraft propulsion. Position is full time, and located in Elgin, Illinois; compensation DOE.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Design and development of high-density power electronics for hybrid-electric propulsion
- Lead trade studies for power electronics topologies and packaging for high-power high-efficiency converters
- Architect and oversee the sizing, design, development and integration of power electronics, magnetics and filter components
- Work closely with thermal, mechanical and controls engineers to optimize design
- Evaluate and select components and component suppliers
- Develop test and validation plan and work with Project Engineering for flawless execution
- Present and advocate for the design and development in all program reviews (PDR, CDR, Qual Review, etc).
- M.S. or higher in electrical engineering with 7 years of relevant experience
- B.S. in electrical engineering or physics with 12 years of relevant experience
- Technical contributions to the field including patents and publications
- Candidate is required to have detailed hands on experience in the design and development high frequency power converters with emphasis to high power high switching frequency AC/DC conversion.
- Detailed knowledge power switching device types and technologies knowledge such as silicon IGBTs SiC MOSFETS and the decisions trades to select each.
- Trade power circuit topologies with particular emphasis on high efficiency multi-level inverter modules
- Detailed magnetic design capability with emphasis on high efficiency low loss materials and topologies.
- Detailed knowledge of power dissipation calculations and device temperature rise.
- Knowledge of motor torque and speed control algorithms utilizing Field Oriented Control techniques
- Fluency with simulation tools (Matlab Simulink, Pspice, PLECS, Simplorer or equivalent), power analyzers, timing analyzers, and advanced rapid prototyping tools such as dSpace and National Instruments LabView
- Strong technical writing, presenting, and team leadership skills
Zunum Aero is an industry leader in hybrid-electric propulsion for aircraft; this position is a unique opportunity to work with a dynamic team of dedicated engineers on the next generation of aircraft propulsion. Zunum offers competitive salary and benefits and is located in beautiful Elgin, Illinois.