Sr Manager, Research Operations & Facilities
Watertown , MA 02472
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Exonics has developed SingleCut CRISPR, a gene editing technology that has the potential to halt the progression of certain genetic neuromuscular diseases. Our lead program has the potential to deliver lifelong benefits for patients with Duchenne, a devastating muscle disease in children for which there is no cure. We are building a collaborative team of exceptional scientists that combines creative innovation, rigorous science, teamwork, and a passionate commitment to developing transformative treatments for patients. Join us.
As Sr Manager, Research Operations & Facilities, youll be instrumental in establishing our research laboratories and creating the required infrastructure to ensure the labs function smoothly and meet all compliance requirements. You will have a key role in the company's move to its new Watertown facility, both lab and office. While we are in temporary space, we will utilize the services of our landlords facilities manager. You will be the primary point of contact for facilities-related work and issues and will work closely with this person to ensure our facilities needs are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Laboratory Operations Management:
- Lead the design and setup of laboratories, including equipment selection, purchase, setup, and calibration.
- End-to-end equipment procurement. Negotiate equipment pricing and contracts, set- up purchase orders, and coordinate installation of new capital equipment coordinating with plumbing, mechanical and electrical contractors, as needed. Establish and renew equipment service contracts. Track warranties and set up preventive maintenance as established in service agreements.
- Schedule equipment repair with appropriate vendors.
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining stockroom supplies.
- Coordinate with third-party vendor for glasswash/autoclave. Assess inventory levels, adjusting as needed.
- Primary interface with contract service firm to manage animal care facility, including contract matters and SOP training for scientists.
- Maintain and track milestone progress on all Sponsored Research Agreements.
- Manage third-party academic agreements and vendors, set up new Sponsored Research Agreements and contracts with CROs.
- Manage hazardous materials, biohazard/medical waste disposal.
- Identify and acquire required permits for laboratory operations. Submit permit renewals and maintain files of submitted applications and renewals.
- Work with EH&S consultant to develop EH&S programs for staff and ensure compliance with EH&S regulations and policies. Prepare job hazard assessment in coordination with EH&S consultant.
- Lead safety committee, prepare incident reports and maintain inventory of chemicals, reagents and hazardous materials.
- Schedule employee training; e.g., fire and life safety, hazardous material/waste training, chemical hygiene, blood-borne pathogens.
- Maintain records as required by regulatory agencies (training, work-related injury/illness, lab inspections, and hazardous materials, etc.)
- Develop lab SOPs and train science staff.
- Manage selection and implementation of electronic lab notebook system and ensure utilization by science staff.
- Coordinate with IT consultant for lab-based computers and specialized software.
- Conduct needs/capabilities assessment and evaluate potential facilities as part of facility selection process.
- Plan lab design in new spaces, and manage design process and completion of tenant improvements as needed.
- Plan and coordinate move of labs from temp to permanent space (Q2-2019).
- Oversee CapEx asset management.
- Prepare annual capital lab equipment list and budget, including facility-related improvements to support new equipment, changes in operations, etc.
- Manage laboratory utilities such as gases (N2, Ar, CO2), dry ice, common solvents.
- Set up janitorial service contract and coordinate services.
- Manage interactions with outside agencies such as fire department, and assist with safety and regulatory inspections.
- First responder to facilities-related emergencies.
- Responsible for coordinating building card access for employees.
- Responsible for coordinating with IT consultant and landlord facilities manager regarding phone and data/internet lines.
- Responsible for shipping and receiving lab supplies, samples, etc.
Necessary Skills and Experience
- Results-oriented thinker, able to find creative solutions to identify a path forward
- Strong work ethic with hands-on approach
- Detail-oriented with a sense of urgency and follow through in a fast paced and demanding environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate others from a position of influence and negotiate conflict situations
- Highly collaborative team player who can interact and foster relationships with all levels of the organization in a professional way
- Bachelors degree in scientific discipline
- Hands-on experience in laboratory research and laboratory operations preferred, including experience with laboratory design and laboratory operations management
- Experience negotiating contracts and service agreements
- Previous facilities management experience preferred
- We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
- Excellent benefits
- Stock options
- Paid vacation, sick time and select holidays
Exonics is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.