Sr. Forge Engineer
Contract Engineering Services
Colorado Springs , CO 80903
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Contract Engineering Services has a great opportunity for a candidate with Forge Engineering experience. Our client is an electrical product provider and consultant, serving several industries like aerospace, electrical, automotive, and construction.
The Senior Forge Engineer is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining methods, processes and costs for forging and heat treat. In this role, the Senior Engineer will work with the forging team, heat treat personnel, quality department and other production resources to establish technology changes, work procedures, process improvements and cost savings that meet industry specifications and/or customer requirements.
The successful candidate will be a self-starter with good discipline who is data driven, organized and detail oriented as well as someone with the ability to pursue tasks independent of managerial oversight. Primary responsibilities include leadership of continuous improvement projects, supporting daily production needs, and implementation of quality initiatives.
Senior Forge Engineer Essential Duties
- Forge expert for manufacturing equipment, its principle of operation, purpose, and its ability to meet product specification/requirements.*
- Design hammer and press dies, tooling and fixtures
- Develop 3D part models from 2D prints using GD&T standard practices
- Capital project management for sustainment and future development
- Troubleshoot tooling and manufacturing issues
- Sourcing and procurement of production equipment*
- Lead and support continuous improvement and quality improvement projects.
- Support manufacturing with a disciplined approach to problem solving (including fishbone diagrams, 6s, value stream mapping, job safety analysis, etc.) in program launches, rework and continuous improvement.
- Work with Quality Control to address quality issues and process improvements to meet customer requirements.
- Coordinate with Quality to ensure proper compliance with ISO and maintenance of work instructions, FMEAs, control plans and other documentation as required.
- Tool design, fabrication, sourcing and procurement
- Capital Project Management
- Project management, including but not limited to: project scope development, timeline development & adherence, coordinating internal and external resources, and project reporting
- Management of capital budget and expenditures
- Provide technical assistance and support to our customers on an as needed basis. May include travel to customer sites, teleconferences, etc.
- Maintain product and production tooling, specifications, drawings, etc.*
- Update drawings and specifications in AutoCAD or other appropriate software
- Production floor plan and material flow drawings*
Education & Experience
- B.S. in Engineering field required (Mechanical Engineering preferred)
- 10 to 15 years of relevant industry experience
- Strong drive to learn and understanding forging concepts (steel flow, die wear, shrink, and draft); will have strong troubleshooting skills; must have solid working knowledge of geometry, trigonometry, and physics. Additional key attributes – “thinking outside the box,” being innately inquisitive, well-organized, and detail oriented. Ideal candidates will be highly motivated. Must love a fast-paced work environment to generate prints, models, hammer forge dies, trim tooling, and other support tooling.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as statistics, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry, trigonometry, fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations as well as application to processes and designs
- Solid understanding of statistics and application to manufacturing processes including statistical process control (SPC), design of experiments (DOE), statistical hypothesis testing.
- Knowledge and capable of applying and customizing Lean Manufacturing, 5S, and Six Sigma to unique manufacturing processes
- Solid understanding of statistics and application to manufacturing processes
- Understanding of PLC and process control principles
- Knowledgeable of basic drafting principles
- Knowledgeable of basic manufacturing support systems and processes (Kan Ban, maintenance, CAD, change control, ISO, etc.)
- Fluent in AutoCAD and MS Office suite
- Familiarity with MS Access or SQL databases