Berkeley , CA 94710
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Lygos is an industrial biotechnology company developing new technologies for the fermentative production of bio-chemicals. We are working to replace expensive, environmentally hazardous, and harmful petrochemical production processes used today with safe, renewable routes using engineered microbes. An important aspect is identification of bio-advantaged chemicals: those where biochemistry provides a strong competitive advantage over petrochemistry.
The successful applicant will serve as a software engineer developing systems for that improve and automate data handling and analysis related to R&D processes at Lygos. Investigating users workflows and needs, creating specification documents, writing applications, and supporting both deployment and end users of applications will be necessary elements of the successful applicants duties. The successful applicant will be expected to advance critical aspects of Lygos software development efforts through both effective individual and team efforts.
- Work in close collaboration with team to conceive, plan, implement and successfully rollout applications that store, transform, visualize and analyze data from R&D processes.
- Collaborate with Lygos R&D team, including strain engineering, fermentation, analytical chemistry, and downstream processing groups, to find creative solutions to data management and computational problems.
- Help to stay abreast of and implement software development best practices.
- Evaluate software frameworks and tools for software engineering.
- Prepare technical reports and quantitative analyses.
- Create documentation and train end users.
- May also be expected to mentor or supervise junior software engineers.
- There will remain significant time and opportunity to also participate in many other aspects of Lygos technical efforts, including: statistical analysis, visualization, computational and systems biology and other areas of technology development. The Lygos team works closely with all employees to support career development and facilitate the learning of new skill sets.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Energetic, creative, team player.
- B.S. or higher in computer science and 1+ years of experience or B.S. or higher in some other technical area and 3+ years of software engineering experience.
- Strong interest in engaging with scientists and learning about data management and computational problems within biotechnology.
- Demonstrated success in technical proficiency, creative problem solving, collaborations with others.
Secondary Knowledge and Skill Considerations
- Strong organization skills and proven ability to manage details.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Python, R, Go, or SQL query optimization.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, chemical engineering or statistics
- Experience customizing LabKeys Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
- Ability to deliver on projects and assignments within timeframes and budgets.