Rural Innovation Strategies Inc.
Hartland , VT 05048
Posted 1 week ago
Rural Innovation Strategies, Inc (RISI) is a social enterprise working to advance inclusive economic opportunity and investment in small towns across the country. We are currently growing our team with people deeply committed to this effort and enthusiastic about working with racially, ethnically, and culturally diverse communities.
Our committed and collaborative team uses data-powered solutions to build capacity for a nationwide network of local change agents committed to creating sustainable digital economy ecosystems in their communities. These ecosystems center around innovation hubs that offer digital-job skills training for the future of work, coworking spaces, remote/distributed work opportunities, support for entrepreneurs scaling tech-enabled startups, access to capital through the CORI Innovation Fund, and strategies to build local amenities and cultural resources.
As part of our Mapping and Data Analytics team, the Software Developer will be responsible for leading our development efforts and collaborating with volunteers, contractors, and partners to execute on our work. The responsibilities will include UX and UI design; building web apps; collaborating with internal teams to create public-facing dashboards and visualizations; and developing custom data solutions to support rural communities. This position will also contribute to envisioning new products, tools, and services to support our work and contribute to our thought leadership efforts to broaden the conversation about whats possible in rural America.
While the candidate will be asked to occasionally spend time at the Hartland, VT headquarters once normal business travel resumes, this is a remote position and will be part of a distributed team.
- Design data-driven tools and visualizations using wireframes, mock-ups, and working prototypes
- Collaborate with external tech teams, community partners, and internal stakeholders on UX design (user interviews, accessibility audits, performance budgets, etc)
- Translate designs and software requirements into code and work across the full stack to develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software
- Create modern, dynamic, customizable info, dashboards, and other impactful visualizations
- Support the accessibility of data across the organization, specifically focused on the touchpoints between non-technical audiences and our analytics team
- Communicate system requirements and recommendations of custom tools to colleagues and external stakeholders
- Proactively communicate to team the latest technological developments affecting our domains and identify opportunities to serve our stakeholders better
- Proactively support the maturation of CORIs data infrastructure and data pipelining
Strong candidates should have most of the following knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Several years of experience in web development, UX and UI design, and/or data visualization; a strong foundation in data visualization techniques preferred
- Ability to translate user needs into design documents using user interviews and a design thinking approach, as well as the ability to convert these designs into functional and non-functional software requirements
- Experience building modern, dynamic, customizable info and data dashboards as well as responsive web using UI frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, etc.
- Some hands-on knowledge of cloud computing, containerization, data infrastructure, and data pipelining; previous experience deploying cloud data infrastructure strongly preferred
- Ability to identify, design, and implement internal process improvements, automating manual processes
- Experience working in blended teams (e.g., business side and technologists/data scientists)
- Ability to evaluate and consider the impacts of the work on multiple types of communities, including communities of color, in technical analysis
- Understanding of both how technology can exacerbate inequities and how it can be used to support inclusivity
- Ability to plan, scope, and execute analytics projects with little oversight
- A four-year degree from an accredited college or university in software engineering, computer science, statistics, or mathematics strongly preferred; Master's degree a plus
The nice to haves:
- Experience with geospatial data and GIS applications like PostGIS or Carto
- Ability to build and maintain software infrastructure in the cloud
- Experience interacting with APIs; previous experience building APIs preferred
- Familiarity with Tableau, Metabase, Airflow, BigQuery, Athena, and other applications used in data pipelines and architecture
- Experience working with data engineers, analysts, and economists
- Some experience leading small agile software development projects or teams
- Experience building style guides using frontend build tools (Yarn, Gulp, etc.)
The salary range for this position is $70,000-$85,000. RISI offers a range of benefits including health insurance, employer matched 401K, and personal and professional development opportunities, among others.
Youll enjoy working at CORI/RISI if:
- You like strategizing in a converted general store building conference room, over an outdoor beverage, or while grabbing lunch at the new downtown cafe
- You value an entrepreneurial culture that encourages teammates to think boldly, take risks, and learn from experience
- You appreciate an independent work environment that supports diverse work styles and preferences
- You want to be part of a collaborative and interested team that finds opportunities to engage each other and have fun (whether in the office or dialing in)
- You like the idea of an open and transparent organization that embraces honest conversations and new ideas
CORI/RISI is an Equal Opportunity Employerpeople of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. We are interested in your ambitions, personal experiences, great ideas, and passions, and believe that everyones unique story and perspective adds value to our organization.
RISI will manage the application and review process using our Workable platform. Please direct all inquiries through this system. We are unable to respond to phone inquiries at this time.