Session Staff Counsel Or Research Analyst
Washington State Senate Committee Services
Olympia , WA 98504
Posted 2 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Senate Committee Services (SCS) is seeking candidates for a temporary Session Staff Counsel or Research Analyst position. Assignments may include health care, labor and commerce, or other issue areas. This is a full-time, nonpartisan position, exempt from civil service. For more information on Senate Committee Services, please visit our website at:
Applicants are encouraged to submit materials as soon as possible as screening, interviewing, and selection will begin immediately.
SCS provides nonpartisan staff support to the members and committees of the Washington State Senate in Olympia, Washington. Duties include:
- Performing legal and policy research and analysis;
- Drafting bills, amendments, and other legislative documents;
- Developing and evaluating policy alternatives to assist Senators in meeting their goals;
- Presenting legislation and other policy matters before committees;
- Responding to inquiries on pertinent policy issues; and
- Developing appropriate professional relationships with Senators, other legislative staff, state agency staff, and interest groups.
Desirable qualifications include:
- Knowledge of the legislative process;
- Proven ability to perform high-quality, objective research and analysis in a position requiring high levels of self-direction;
- Excellent analytical, writing, problem solving, and oral communication skills;
- A creative, flexible, and service-oriented approach to work;
- Willingness to work long, irregular hours that are common during a legislative session;
- Capability to handle the complex, difficult situations that are common in the fast-paced, high-pressure legislative environment; and
- Proficiency in multiple computer applications, including word-processing software, presentation applications, and on-line research.
- COVID-19 Alert: Due to operational changes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of the functions of this position may be performed virtually.
A law degree, master's degree in public administration, public policy, or a related field is desirable. An undergraduate degree is required.
Salaries for professional legislative staff are competitive. The specific salary will depend on the successful applicants education and experience.