Senior Web Developer - Full Stack Software Engineer
Sunnyvale , CA 94085
Posted 1 week ago
What do we do and why join us?
- We help people change their lives. BetterHelp is the worlds largest counseling service. We connect people facing life's challenges with a counselor from our network of licensed, accredited, and board-certified therapists. Each month, over 1,500,000 counseling messages, chats, voice calls, and video sessions are facilitated through BetterHelps secure website and mobile app. Our mission is to provide everyone with easy, affordable, and private access to professional counseling, anytime, anywhere.
- We're big and small at the same time. We've already built a network of thousands of counselors, served millions of members, and facilitated tens of millions of counseling sessions. We're part of Teladoc Health (NYSE: TDOC), the nation's first and largest telehealth provider. Yet, our team is still small and nimble, allowing you to have a huge impact and make your mark.
- We're growing super fast. Theres no better time to join!
What are we looking for?
We're looking for a talented, motivated, smart individual with a passion for software engineering, a strong desire to learn and an interest in providing mentorship to junior level developers. This position is ideal for a seasoned software engineer who has worked on multiple challenging projects. We are especially looking someone who enjoys hacking outside of work as much as in; someone not afraid to write code to scratch an itch. We love technology and so should you.
What technologies will you work with?
Our backend tech stack is currently Linux, nginx, MySQL, PHP and Memcached.
Our frontend tech stack includes Twig (php templates), Bootstrap 3, jQuery, HTML5, CSS3/SASS.
What will you do?
- You will develop end to end. You own your features and see them through to production and beyond.
- You will develop best practices and write clean, secure, readable, scalable code. OOP where appropriate.
- You will collaborate with other team members - engineers and others.
- You will integrate and build for external and internal API's.
- You will develop new products in PHP and alter existing PHP code to accommodate scale and integration with new technologies and APIs.
- You will write and optimize MySQL queries and design schemas.
- You will create and code complex backend algorithms.
- You will profile and optimize new and legacy code.
- You will be leveraging Bootstrap 3, jQuery HTML5, CSS3 and other open source technologies.
- You will always be thinking cross-device and cross-platform, mobile, tablet and desktop.
- You will ship often and fast. We keep an agile environment with continuous deployment.
- You will care and be involved in our product, mission, and success - way beyond checking off development tasks.
- You will enjoy great teamwork and lots of fun.
What will you NOT do?
- You will NOT be bogged down by office politics, ego, or bad attitude. Only positive, pleasure-to-work-with people allowed here!
- You will NOT worry about "runway", "cash left", or "how much time we have until the next round". We're fully backed and funded, all the way to success.
- You will NOT be confined to engineering and coding. Have a thought or idea about how we do our product, marketing, business development, operation or customer support? Speak up! Get involved, initiate, own.
- You will NOT chase the latest most sophisticated technology just because it's there. We love sexy technology but we love practical solutions that get the job done even more.
- You will NOT get yourself burned out. We work hard but we believe in maintaining sustainable work/life balance. Really.
Must be able to legally work in the US.
Deep understanding of web development concepts and principles.
Example full-stack projects.
At least one major demonstrable project with front-end code, back-end code and database.
Ability to design, develop and launch a web application from start to finish.
Ability to learn quickly and pick up new skills independently.
Get-things-done attitude with eagerness to build something great.
5+ years of experience in web development (any stack), solving challenging problems and implementing new features from scratch.
Familiar with web & SQL security best practices.
Comfortable working outside the context of a framework. Frameworks can help you get some things done more quickly, but we find it helpful if candidates are comfortable working outside of a framework so they have a good understanding of what is going on behind the scenes first.
Experience using git in a team environment.
Helpful, but not required:
- Work or internship experience in startups
- Experience with the LAMP/LEMP stack
- Building something that matters - loved by the people and admired by the press
- Any piece of hardware or software that will you make you happy and productive
- Free daily catered lunches
- Office amenities like hammocks, massage chairs, and games
- Very competitive salary & equity compensation
- Full health, dental, vision
- 401k benefits
- Life insurance
- Awesome people to work with!