Senior Software Development Engineer (Software Engineering Lead, Platform Services)
Boston , MA 02108
Posted 2 months ago
At SOPHiA GENETICS we make a positive impact to people's lives every day. Giving wider access to Data-Driven Medicine is the heart of our mission, powered by our Software-as-a-Service technology. Experts in healthcare institutions and medical laboratories all over the world are able to work with precision and confidence using our applications.
As an inspirational technology lead on our engineering team, you will be based at our Boston, USA office. You have experience in designing and developing cloud native, service-oriented platforms at scale, while embedding continuous delivery, agile, lean and DevOps disciplines.
As a Software Engineering Lead you will report to the VP of Engineering and will be part of our Platform Services Engineering team. This is where we build the software services that underpin our entire Data-Driven Medicine platform.
Your primary responsibilities are:
- Apply the engineering principles and practices that are proven to result in just enough code to meet the user needs while meeting the levels of resilience required by an always-on service. This is your chance to make Site / Service Reliability Engineering a driving tenet of great software. You will ensure that our services can be shipped in hours, upgraded in place without service interruption using dark launch techniques, and can be proven to provide tested execution paths in specific configurations for regulatory compliance. Our needs and aspirations demand observability and efficient scalability built in from Release 1.0.
- Move us towards a state of no human intervention post code-commit. You will do this by mentoring your team to embrace and improve on these first-class engineering principles and practices. Your performance will be recognized in the demonstrable and measurable ability of the entire team to consistently write and deploy code that never returns for fixing
- Embed high-performance work management principles and practices in your team. Through the adoption and adaptation of appropriate continuous delivery, agile, lean and DevOps disciplines, you will guide the team to be in total control of their commitments, their backlog and their deployment stream. We will know that you are making a difference when your stakeholders always know what to expect, by when, and in what state, with a very low rate of surprises.
You are a passionate and experienced senior technologist who has a proven track record of successful design, delivery, and operation of modern large-scale information systems with a heterogenous and globally distributed customer base. You are will have built cloud native services in multi-disciplined, autonomous and accountable teams following the most effective work management practices.
You have an exceptional ability to communicate with stakeholders at all levels and articulate clearly what needs doing, how it can be done, and why it matters.
You thrive on the success of the teams that you mentor and drive everyone to commit code at the highest frequency and quality. Continuous improvement is evident in your work ethic, your design decisions, the metrics you obsess over, and the actions you take from the feedback received.
- Software engineer and technical leader of at least 5 years influencing multiple teams of engineers concurrently while actively contributing to the production codebase
- Track record of adopting design patterns to produce technology at scale with a passion for development and service excellence
- Expert knowledge of enterprise architecture, cloud architecture, design patterns, microservices, serverless, SaaS, cloud platforms
- Continuous delivery of value to users, the measurement of metrics that matter, and continuous product improvement from empirical feedback
- Expertise in the software development lifecycle process, including analysis and design, APIs, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies, and deployment management
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement of software development and operations practices and processes
- An active contributor to Engineering Community of Practice across organizations
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
This position requires some travel between SOPHiA GENETICS locations and suppliers (up to 30%).
- A competitive compensation package
- A flexible and friendly working environment with a collaborative atmosphere
- Fantastic office locations in Switzerland, France, and USA
- An exciting company mission that brings together science and technology to directly impact the lives of patients with life threatening illness.
- A fast-growing company with plenty of opportunity for personal growth and development
- A hard technical challenge to solve with exciting modern technology - cloud computing, Big Data, DevOps, machine learning
Start: ASAP (or as agreed)
Contract type: permanent full-time
If you think you fit this position, please send a CV and a cover letter. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
After an initial screening process, candidates will be invited for remote interviews. Selected candidates will then be invited for in-person interviews.