Senior Software Developer (Full -Time, Senior / Lead / Principal)
Seattle , WA 98101
Posted 1 week ago
As a senior-level Developer, you'll be responsible for the successful delivery of digital products. You'll be a project leader, contributor, and technical mentor for your development team and department - so you'll be switching between setting direction, creating software, and helping your teams constantly improve. You handle it with ease through solid time management skills, mastery of client services, an inspiring attitude, and thoughtful application of the latest tools, trends, and practices of software development alongside those that are more tried-and-true.
What Youll Do:
In your day-to-day you will:
- Evaluate a product experience holistically, from high level product architecture to the specifics of how individual features would fit together
- Lead in determining short and long term technical needs, objectives, and approaches to projects
- Take on various tasks, development-related or not, to support different processes and needs on your project teams
- Collaborate directly every day with designers, developers, engagement managers, and clients
- Balance time between directly working on development and supervising / maintaining the quality of work from other contributors on your team
Who You Are:
- You are a collaborative leader
You set the stage for excellent software development through active listening and working side by side with your teams, clients, and department.
- You are a master of business and development practices
You quickly identify and support client service and business needs with appropriate software development practices, helping your teams advance these skills.
- You are an ambitious developer
You don't believe in resting on your laurels and easily tackle situations of ambiguity to figure out how to keep yourself and your work moving forward.
- You are an adaptive contributor
You're eager to jump in on tasks to support your team as needed, with no ego or complaints.
- You are an active community member
You support your teams, the company, and the developer community by attending events, sharing knowledge, and learning from others.
- 8+ years of software development experience (ideally w/experience in a client services or agency environment)
- Proven experience leading teams and mentoring other developers in previous roles
- Proficiency w/a variety of languages/tools, ex. Ruby/Rails, Typescript (client and server-side), iOS/Objective-C, Android/Java, Python, etc.
- Demonstrated practice w/test-driven/behavior-driven product development
- Passion about the way you develop software
- Strong communication, client services, and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of integrated development practices and experience directly collaborating with design teams
- Experience or familiarity solving problems across multiple technology platforms (eg. browsers, applications, operating systems, mobile and connected devices, other hardware)
- Fierce passion for collaboration and growing with others
We offer a comprehensive set of benefits designed to help you do your best work and support your life in & out of the office.
- Generous PTO policy
- Education Benefit
- Commuter Benefits
- Flexible Working
- A Happy Workplace (vibrant Capitol Hill location with great people, a fully stocked kitchen, free yoga and other perks)
Founded in 2006 in Seattle, Substantial is a digital innovation and build studio located on Seattles Capitol Hill. We believe technologists are in an unprecedented position to innovate in service of a more equitable future. We collaborate with our clients as strategic innovation partners to create thoughtful digital products from concept to launch.
People of Color, LGBTQ+ individuals, women and members of historically marginalized populations encouraged to apply.
Substantial strives to be a diverse, inclusive and anti-racist workplace. We value diverse perspectives on our product teams and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds and walks of life. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, physical appearance, age or national origin. Racism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, or any other form of bigotry have no place here.
Substantials commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion