Senior Mechanical Engineer
Oakland , CA 94619
Posted 2 days ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Cartken is a startup at the forefront of last-mile delivery and autonomous robotics. Our team has experience solving some of the toughest challenges in autonomous vehicles, robotics, and operations at Google, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook. We have robots operating around the world providing reliable and cost-effective delivery in malls, kitchens, hotels, universities, and city streets. You can read more about Cartken here and here.
We are seeking a nimble Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our fast-paced team. The ideal candidate is comfortable with ambiguity and has a demonstrated history of creating quick functional-prototypes as well as scaling a system through pilots into medium and high volume production.
You will perform a combination of hands-on prototyping, CAD design, build documentation, and supplier management. Additionally, you will help architect and roadmap Cartkens next generation of robots while having ownership from initial concept through production and deployment.
You will be a significant force behind our system robustness and rigorously test our robots, as well as help deploy them at customer sites -- often traveling to do so. If you are passionate about robots and want to help apply state of the art technology to real world problems, you'll love working with us.
A successful candidate will have the ability to work both independently and with our multidisciplinary team in a high-growth startup environment. Were looking for someone who will work hard, have fun, and help us make history!
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer you will:
- Own architectures, subassemblies, and components from initial concept through production and deployment.
- Creatively engineer solutions to customer problems, with the ability to be "resourceful" when needed to get results fast.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to engineer robust and reliable solutions.
- Perform hands-on prototyping and testing to validate design concepts.
- Collaborate with our distributed team to trouble shoot and root-cause robot issues in the field.
- Create detailed CAD designs/drawings and use PDM/PLM to release parts and track changes.
- Build/maintain BOMs, SOPs, and other manufacturing documentation.
- Support builds at off-site partner facilities to ensure smooth product launches.
- Manage suppliers and ensure quality standards are met.
- Proficient written and spoken English.
- BS/MS in Mechanical Engineering
- 5+ years of 3D CAD experience (Solidworks preferred) with best practices for part design, configuration management, and working with large assemblies.
- 5+ years experience using PDM/PLM with knowledge of change control.
- 5+ years experience building and maintaining BOMs and SOPs.
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts through design reviews and presentations.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, able to prioritize work amongst multiple simultaneous projects and strong commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work from Cartkens Oakland, California office and travel up to 30% of the time.
- Team-player that is highly-motivated to resolve problems and help the team succeed.
- Conscious to anticipate program needs, improve processes, and mentor junior engineers.
- Demonstrated history of shipping a product through low, mid and high volume production, with the ability to roadmap the product-architecture through each stage.
- Extensive experience using low volume prototyping techniques (vacuum forming, urethane casting, rotomolding, self-fixturing sheet metal parts, etc) to create functional and cosmetic parts.
- Extensive experience designing and qualifying components with custom tooling for mid to high volume manufacturing (injection molding, structural foam molding, diecast, sheet metal, etc).
- Experience designing and owning architectures, sub-assemblies, and components in a mid to high volume robotics or automotive environment.
- Working knowledge of FEA, Statistical tolerance analysis, and GD&T.
- Experience with thermal simulations, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Experience sourcing domestic and overseas suppliers through RFQs, and building relationships with them to ensure high quality parts and on time delivery.
- Extensive rolodex of suppliers/vendors youve had success with on prior projects.
- Experience working with Electrical engineers to design wire harnesses and package PCBs
- Experience working with Industrial Designers to create class A surfacing and knowledge of top-down design/master modeling best practices.
- Experience engineering systems to meet reliability and compliance standards.