Senior Devops Engineer
Smart Pension Ltd
Nashville , TN 37201
Posted 3 weeks ago
This key role represents an excellent opportunity for someone who's looking for a very unique challenge, as you will be joining a growing team of DevOps Engineers and our first engineering team in the United States. You will also be part of a fast growing and global Engineering team of over 200 skillful people.
As this is a senior role, you will be expected to own and be accountable for the reliability, security, scalability and deployment of the platform. This role will require office presence 2 days per week - we are based in The Gulch, downtown Nashville.
- Work with Product and Engineering to own and build the DevOps Roadmap and Backlog
- Be the Product Owner for the DevOps backlog - understand the priorities of work and what business value they unlock
- Provide backlog progress updates to stakeholders within the company
- Manage, maintain & support our AWS and Heroku environments.
- Build appropriate tooling for development teams & clients.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team -- yourself included! - by implementing appropriate solutions or processes as required.
- Design & implement improved data security strategies for our platform.
- Own & implement appropriate monitoring & alerting as we move to a 24/7/365 platform.
- Assist the development team in using these metrics to ensure the reliability of our platform remains excellent across all deployments.
- Define Service Level Objectives for the Smart Platform, including working with other departments to define appropriate availability targets.
- Own & implement new continuous deployment & release improvements to support Smart's ambitious future plans, including deployment to secured third-party environments for a variety of different clients.
- Keep up to date with best practices in application hosting and continuous deployment.
- Update or produce documents to describe changes to the platform.
Smart Pension is dynamic, exciting and diverse. Pension companies in the past have been slow to adapt to new technology and methods, but with Smart Pension we're changing the world of Pensions and to keep up with it, we look for people who are happy to operate in an ambiguous environment, people who bring ideas to the table but above all, people who deliver software. We look to move forward at pace and we are upbeat and passionate about making things successful!
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce, is the most awesome workforce. Over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches as the recent Rails Girls event - a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
We are excited by new ideas, different ways of thinking, diverse backgrounds and approaches. We run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team! Test new technologies, try new ideas - we're excited to get your ideas out to the world.
Smart Pension is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
Lastly, we've grown to a team of over 400 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers. We are a British company and we've recently made it onto Great Places to Work UK's Best Workplaces 2020 at the no.70 spot for medium-sized companies, and at the no.30 spot for Best UK Workplaces in Tech!
If you have any questions about how we store your data you can view our updated recruitment data policy.
- Experience developing AWS environments.
- Proven track record of supporting web platforms (e.g. websites or APIs) in production at scale.
- Experience in cloud platforms, especially in upgrades and troubleshooting.
- Experience defining appropriate metrics to monitor web platforms, and alerting on breaches of those metrics.
- Ability to monitor and identify network policy violations and system breaches.
- Experience with incident response in an on-call environment.
- Experience with continuous delivery and zero-downtime deployments.
- Experience with MySQL and Redis (or similar platforms).
- Comfortable with command-line tools and environments. Linux experience is essential.
- Proficient with at least one server-side programming language such as Ruby or Python.
- Experience with configuration management tools like Terraform or Ansible, and understand their common use cases.
- Enjoys complex problem solving and delivering results.
- Healthcare Insurance, including Medical, Dental and Eye Care
- Pension benefit
- Enhanced maternity and paternity (maternity- 26 weeks fully paid / paternity- 3 weeks fully paid).
- 15 days holiday per year plus bank holidays. 1 extra day holiday after 2 years and then every year up to a max of 20 days holiday.
- 5 week sabbatical after 5 years.
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Accident Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance