Senior Data Platform Engineer
San Francisco , CA 94102
Posted 8 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
The telecom industry has far too long been dominated by the big, the bureaucratic and the unimaginative. Now is the time for someone to take this industry on with something better.
We are a software company in a carrier world - changing the industry by providing what others cannot - a better user experience, better customer service, continual innovation, and most importantly transparent pricing.
As an experienced (Senior) Data Platform Engineer at TextNow, you will own the design, development and maintenance of TextNows data warehouse that will enable us to make effective data-informed decisions across various business disciplines. You will lead initiatives to formalize data governance and management practices, rationalize our information lifecycle and key company metrics, mapping the metrics to TextNows data warehouse and the various data sources feeding into it. In this role, you will have the opportunity to interact with different functional areas within the business and influence decision-making in a fast-growing mobile communications startup. This is a flat company in which you will take on a solid amount of ownership over your work.
Join us to make a BIG impact as part of the disrupting force that's changing telecommunications forever.
- Own TextNows data warehouse, pipeline, and integration points between various business systems.
- Develop tools to monitor, debug, and analyze data pipelines to ensure data quality and reliability. Troubleshoot data issues and build customized reports to investigate key business questions.
- Explore available technologies and design solutions to continuously improve our data quality, workflow reliability, and scalability. Perform capacity planning and cost estimates of proposed solutions.
- Design, architect and support new and existing data and ETL pipelines and recommend improvements and modifications. Guide and influence architectural direction.
- Be a champion of TextNows data ecosystem by working with engineering and infrastructure to guide data strategy for governance, security, privacy, quality and retention that will satisfy business policies and requirements.
- Communicate strategies and processes around data modeling and architecture to multi-functional groups and senior level management. Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements.
- Establish best practices and standards for data definitions. Publish and maintain a data dictionary.
- Manage data infrastructure to grow and support the Data Science team in relation to the construction of performant ML-based data products.
- Partner with business domain experts, data science, product managers and engineering teams to build foundational data sets that are trusted, well understood, aligned with business strategy and enable self-service analytics.
- 5+ years of experience designing data warehouse/data lake and ETL architectures, preferably at companies with fast-growing and evolving data needs.
- 5+ years of experience with RDBMS. Expert in SQL.
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related quantitative fields.
- Hands-on experience with AWS and services like EC2, SQS, SNS, RDS, Cache etc.
- Fluent in at least two of the following programming languages: Scala, Python, Java.
- Understanding of how different data storage engines work and what are the limitations (SQL, NoSQL, key-value stores).
- Deep familiarity with schemas, metadata catalogs etc.
- Experience in initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance. Highly organized, structured work approach and dependable. Expected ability to manage and communicate data warehouse plans to internal partners.
- Expert debugging skills and emphasis on automated tests to build high quality systems.
- Strong experience in improving performance of queries and data jobs and scaling the system for exponential growth in data.
- Knowledge of big data technologies such as Hadoop, Spark (including pyspark), Spark streaming, Kafka, Hive, Storm, Sqoop, Hbase and HDFS is a plus.
- Knowledge of ad serving platforms and online advertising systems is a plus.
- Experience with automation/configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Fabric, Docker, etc is a plus.
- Impactful work
- Professional development
- TextNow-powered smartphone
- Competitive total compensation package
- Catered lunch
- 24 hour fitness membership