Senior Computer Operations Engineer (Ibm Mainframe)
Jacksonville , FL 32226
Posted 3 days ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Computer Operations ManagerJacksonville, FL6-month contract-to-hirePOSITION SUMMARY:
The Computer Operations Manager is responsible for the operations of the Unix, Linux, Windows environments on an Intel platform. Applications included in this area are Micro Focus Enterprise Server, migrated mainframe applications and software for all Managed Service Clients. The individual in this position will ensure all jobs are scheduled and executed on-time and oversee preventive and corrective maintenance whenever necessary to ensure around the clock computer availability and security. He/she must be able to follow crisis management and problem escalation procedures.As a member of the Mainframe Network Operations Section, the Computer Operations Manager must stay abreast of industry trends and best practices in order to support standard procedures for improving operations performance, with a focus on efficiency, function, security, and cost savings. He/she must have a firm understanding of information technology concepts, practices, and procedures. The incumbent must also be able to utilize his/her knowledge and experience in computer operations and methodologies to work in a demanding environment under moderate supervision. As an IT professional, he/she will contribute to achieving the Managed Services / NOC Work Plan and work closely with development teams and engagement manager to actively support the development and execution of new client onboarding.PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:The following statements describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed. They should not be considered an exhaustive list of all duties. Management employees may perform other related duties as required.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Performs day to day backup, recovery, performance and monitoring of batch cycles, updating technical documentation, monitoring log files and error handling, problem determination and resolution, and deployment.
- Familiar with Micro Focus Enterprise Server and Enterprise Developer software operating environment management, administration, and troubleshooting in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Production environment in AWS and Microsoft Windows Development environments.
- Communicates with and coordinates the effort of fellow team members to ensure continuation and completion of work in progress from one shift to the next;
- Prints high volume user reports
- Checks JCL for condition codes and notifies programmers when expected conditions are not met;
- Logs problem entry reports at all times;
- Applies standard corrective procedures on equipment malfunction, calls for immediate or delayed service when necessary;
- Checks quality control, reviews and checks flow of work in and out of center;
- Assists in devising new procedures, forms and diagrams;
- Maintains record of all work performed on the turnover log;
- Resolves difficult computer operation problems efficiently and effectively;
- Maintains system integrity and notifies the supervisor of any irregularities;
- Collects and reports performance data;
- Reviews Job Scheduler to submit or modify JCL when required;
- Analyzes, develops and recommends production procedures;
- Assembles job stream inputs, organizes for submission to computer and adjusts backlog to handle problem runs, special runs, system failures, etc;
- Reviews system message logs, identifies incomplete jobs that did not process correctly, and initiates actions required to reprocess aborted or incorrect jobs;
- Provides technical guidance to less experienced technicians in their tasks;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Assists users calling the IT Service Desk during after hours for password resets and printer support;
- Operates and manages scheduler for daily jobs and performs troubleshooting of same;
- Responsible for operational management;
- Monitors all production environments using Dynatrace APM;
- Views Direct support services;
- Participates in Disaster Recovery Tests;
- Monitors critical applications;
- Monitors client(s) data center (on-prem or cloud), WAN, LAN and systems infrastructure from a centralized Network Operations Center (NOC), ensuring high-availability and attainment of adopted service levels. Investigates alerts and alarms down to root cause for repair and or/dispatch;
- Ensures proper transition of shift logs and communicates active events in the NOC are clearly noted for each shift and P1-P2 events are escalated to supervisor on duty or on call and passed on to the next shift during shift turnover and noted in the shift turnover log;
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Good knowledge of data entry methods, operations, and computer processing procedures;
- In-depth understanding of job control and multi-platform scheduling;
- Ability to quickly locate and isolate operational deficiencies and process problems that impede production;
- Working knowledge of Micro Focus Enterprise Server and Enterprise Developer software operating environment management, administration, and troubleshooting in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Production environment in AWS and Microsoft Windows Development environment.
- Knowledge/experience of the Windows environment and supported software databases, software and security;
- Familiar with CI/CD, Jenkins, Git, AWS
- Preferred knowledge of CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins plug-in
- Preferred knowledge of cloud infrastructures, especially AWS is a PLUS
- Knowledge of RDBMS technologies;
- Knowledge of distributed architectures;
- Knowledge of Micro Focus, Dynatrace, IWS and LRS;
- Problem solving capability with ability to work independently;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Strong knowledge of procedures used in data processing including tracking, accounting and reporting
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or other technical discipline or equivalent experience;
- 3-5 years of progressive experience in mainframe, midrange and Intel platforms, supporting computer operations in a large corporate environment;
- Experience with RHEL, IBM DB2 LUW, Micro Focus Enterprise Server, Micro Focus Enterprise Developer, IBM WebSphere MQ platforms;
- Experience in fundamental system and database administration, tuning, and backup/recovery;
- Experience with working in a multi-platform environment;
- Experience with JCL.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays as needed and provide inclement weather operational coverage.
- Must be available, as required, to work as needed on a 24-hour on-call basis, odd and irregular hours, and various shifts.