Senior Assistant Controller/ Finance Manager
Marriott Vacations Worldwide
San Francisco , CA 94118
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others' vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
The Assistant Controller, Senior (AC) manages the operation of the on-site accounting department by providing leadership, guidance and support. They assist the Director of Finance and Accounting, Field Operations (DOF) with financial compliance and adherence of the management agreement with the nonprofit property owners' association and the financial and accounting reporting and analysis of the on-site ancillary business operations.
Maintain strong internal controls environment, including the compliance to company standards, policies, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements. They are responsible for period, quarter and end of year closing, forecasting, auditing and ensuring proper controls are in place to mitigate risks for the organization. Core work activities include, but not limited to, supervising a staff of on-site Finance and Accounting (F&A) professionals, business partnering with various stakeholders to meet financial objectives, financial statement review and analysis, and compliance of accounting controls.
Relocation Assistance Provided-Yes
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting preferred, or related major; 2-4 years related work experience in finance and accounting; or,
- High School Diploma/GED and equivalent work experience
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Accounting, Controls, and Financial Analysis:
Prepare financial statements in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and in format approved by company policy
Research, analyze and document variances from actual results compared to budget and previous forecast
Review and ensure balance sheet accounts are supported by appropriate documentation. Provide guidance and support to accounting services group as appropriate
Maintain and update tax rates used for sales and use tax in accordance with State laws. Ensure the rates are current and proper amounts are collected and/or accrued
Conduct property level self-assessments and assist with internal, tax, and regulatory audits. Identify, develop and communicate action plans to rectify deficiencies in a timely manner
Prepare data and information to auditors for annual property owners' association external audit, including clear and concise variance explanations demonstrating a thorough understanding of the financial statements
Provide analysis during budget reviews and capital planning to identify cost savings and productivity opportunities
Prepare cash flow and profit forecasts that facilitate timely adjustments to the business by on-site leaders, including the accurate payment and recording of intercompany transfers
Managing and Business Partnerships:
Utilize effective relationship building skills with a broad range of business partners to gain trust, positively impact decision outcomes, and mitigate risk to the organization. Stakeholders include on-site leaders and associates, corporate and regional F&A executives, corporate and regional Resort Operations executives, internal and external auditors, corporate tax, corporate Accounting Shared Services Group, property owners' association Board of Directors, and third-party vendors.
Make quality business decisions that thoughtfully weigh the facts and understand the interests of stakeholders involved
Create a positive work environment with collaborative relationships that encourages others and celebrates successes
Motivate, coach, and train a staff of on-site F&A professionals
Provide hands-on, real time accounting and financial analysis expertise to Resort Operations on-site leaders
Train non-financial Resort Operations on-site leaders as appropriate in order to enhance business understanding
Performs any reasonable request as assigned
- Determines how change impacts self and others; displays flexibility in adjusting priorities; and communicates both the reasons for change and how it impacts the workplace.
- Customizes approach to conveying complex information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner; appropriately interprets verbal and non-verbal behavior; and models active listening to ensure understanding.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Models and coaches others on breaking complex issues into manageable parts, identifying and evaluating alternatives and their implications before making decisions, and involving and gaining agreement from others when making key decisions.
- Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
- Building and Contributing to Teams
- Leads and participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required
- Gathers information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizes and arranges work requirements for self and/or others to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Interacts with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards
- Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Organizational Capability
- Evaluates and adapts the structure of team assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
- Provides guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
- Seeks and makes the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach team, business, and administrative challenges.
- Knowledge of P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data
- Auditing and Reconciliation
- The ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data, and create flow charts on main accounting and control cycles (A/R, AP, Cash) to facilitate understanding of key control points.
- General Finance and Accounting
- The ability to perform bookkeeping procedures, proficiently use financial systems technology, and accurately complete general ledger entries; knowledge of database structures in order to obtain financial queries; establish Cash flow statements and cash flow forecast with a good understanding the financials flows and the working capital needs.
- The ability to create and maintain spreadsheets as well as analyze and summarize financial data using appropriate financial software.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles and current company accounting policies and procedures. This includes general accounting and financial reporting, auditing, accounts payable, and accounts receivable.
- Accounting and Internal Control Knowledge
- Knowledge of local Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (local GAAP), Marriott International Policies (MIP), and International Standard Operating Procedures (ISOPs).
- Ability to read and understand basic contract elements, e.g. royalty fees, management agreement, terms, priorities and profit distribution.
- The ability to perform auditing procedures, including the ability to recognize, research, and resolve discrepancies in financial data.
- Knowledge of local payroll reporting and tax requirements, ability to effectively record wages/tax liabilities, and operate payroll software applications, including understanding the features and functions of the applications.
- Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable
- Knowledge of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable processes, including knowledge of sub ledger reconciliation and controls.
- Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
- Demonstrates ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
- Demonstrates ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Demonstrates understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Communicates effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture.