Administers respiratory therapy as prescribed by a physician for the diagnosis and treatment of respiratory disease/illness. Prepares, operates and maintains respiratory equipment. Guides and assists new Respiratory Therapy employees
1.Initiates, monitors and adjusts patients therapy based on physicians' orders and established guidelines for mechanical ventilation techniques.
2.Monitors and administers a multitude of oxygen and breathing devices to patients including, but not limited to, cannulas, croupettes, face masks, humidifiers, incentive spirometers, Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing (IPPB), oxygen venti masks, nebulizers and ultrasonic nebulizers.
3.Identifies contraindications and patient responses to treatment. Records treatment and patient response in patient's medical chart.
4.Transports medical gases to patient floors and specialty areas and sets up appropriate gauge or regulator fro tank to function, as needed.
5.Ensures proper functioning and appropriate utilization of Respiratory Therapy equipment in use by patients.
6.Responds to emergency calls. Takes responsibility for proper resuscitation of patients. Assists with cardiac massage, intubation and extubation, as needed.
7.Ensures proper restocking of emergency supplies immediately following codes to ensure sufficient supply.
8.Accompanies transport team on inter-hospital transports with patients, as directed, and performs ventilatory assistance.
9.Performs nasal and tracheal suctioning as required. Monitors and records PaO2 in infants on transcutaneous oxygen monitors.
10. Performs basic pulmonary function measurements and studies (ventilator studies, weaning criteria and related diagnostic studies).
11. Assists in disassembling, cleaning, disinfecting, reassembling and storing of equipment. Performs routine preventive maintenance activities and/or minor equipment repairs following instructions.
12. Records daily usage of all Respiratory Therapy equipment for department records.
13. Provides guidance and assistance to new Respiratory Therapy employees and students.
14. Creates individual schedule for daily workload as assigned by supervisor. Reviews and records the condition of patients receiving therapy and reports to supervisor and/or relief personnel.
15. Performs related duties, as required.
High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
Successful completion of an accredited Respiratory Therapy program, required.
Licensed as Respiratory Therapist in the State of New York, required.