This Radiation Therapist position is located in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This will be a day-shift position and call will be required.
SALARY RANGEMinimum: $63,500
1. Administers safe and accurate radiation therapy
Clinical Practice Management:
Ensures accurate treatment delivery and data capture, the radiation
therapist demonstrates sound clinical judgment and adheres to accurate
treatment and simulation delivery.
Gathers necessary set-up aids and prepares room and equipment for
patient. o Consistently works at a speed that supports
treatment/simulation unit scheduling.
Maintains appropriate treatment and simulation records and data.
Sets appropriate treatment unit parameters
Demonstrates necessary manual dexterity and psychomotor skills to
operate and manipulate the mechanical motions of complex
radiation-emitting treatment units. Works under stress and pressure.
Adapts without difficulty to changes in work schedule or assigned
area as departmental patient load dictates.
Visually monitors patient for unusual reaction and events and
reports same to radiation oncologist throughout the course of radiation
• Explains treatment procedure to the patient as it is performed
• communicating in a clear, concise voice; answers patient's and family's
• questions and defers those not within his/her competence to the radiation
• oncologist. Verbally reinforces radiation oncologist's advice to patient
• regarding reactions to treatment and their care. Recognizes patient's
• needs and responds to them appropriately. Refers patient to other allied
• health specialists, such as a social workers, dietitians and nursing.
2. Performs and maintains Quality Assurance
Quality Assurance Management:
Complies with departmental quality assurance practices.
Visually ascertains that consent forms for radiation therapy are in
the treatment record and have been signed by the patient before
administering the treatment.
• Monitors and maintains daily treatment records and machine QA,
• inclusive of but not limited to the following: adheres to portal image
• review/approval guidelines as required by the department makes adjustments
• in field placement as needed.
• Verbally notifies physics or engineering if measurements do not
• fall into accepted parameters. Visually recognizes and reports erratic
• operation of equipment to supervisor, engineering staff and/or
• Administrative Director for Therapy Services.
• Checks prescription, set-up instructions, new start procedures, and
• patient information in the record and verify system, etc. Reviews the
• records for any discrepancies between the prescription, treatment plan,
• and amendments.
Attends planning clinic as assigned.
Performs, monitors, and maintains mandatory quality control
activities and documentation.
3. Maintains Competency Management
Ensures that appropriate clinical skills are learned and maintained
to support treatment and simulation delivery, the radiation therapist
demonstrates and adheres to:
Maintenance of departmentally identified base competencies
inclusive of performing calculations.
Accurate documentation and maintenance of competency assessment
• Facilitates learning consistent with expectations of documented
• competency level by attending lectures, seminars, and in-services to stay
• abreast of new techniques and to comply with licensure and competency
Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills and professional
behaviors (soft skills) and participation in competency assessments.
Consistently works within the scope of practice and competency
4. Participates in clinical instruction/evaluation
Education and Training Management:
Actively participates in practitioner/students education and
Demonstrates practice related learning, share knowledge and skills
learned to students and peers.
Participates in departmental/institutional learning initiatives and
Orients and teaches new students/therapists rotating to treatment
Participates in the monthly evaluations on the students, assessing
cognitive, affective and psychomotor objectives.
5. Adhere to departmental guidelines and
Adheres to department policies, guidelines, and procedures.
Completes internal variance forms for any error and forwards it to
the supervisor for follow up within 24 hours.
Consistently adheres to all departmental policies concerning
radiation therapy treatment, attendance, and dress code.
Adheres to Kronos Procedures, effective time management.
Utilizes resources and controls resources through careful
management of supplies and equipment.
Effectively uses the experience and abilities of other staff
Willing to take instruction, discipline, correction, and guidance.
Demonstrates enthusiasm and shows initiative to begin, complete and
improve all actions required to accomplish job.
University Of Texas M.D. Anderson