Project Geotechnical Engineer
Grand Junction , CO 81501
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Navarro Research and Engineering is recruiting for a Project Geotechnical Engineer in Westminster, CO or Grand Junction, CO.
Navarro is a premier contractor providing high-quality technical services to DOE, NASA, and DOD. Navarros success is based on our customer service focus and our well-known responsiveness and innovation. In all we do, either in corporate management or in our services to our clients, we seek for the most effective and efficient approaches to provide best value to our clients.
Navarro is seeking an experienced Project Geotechnical Engineer whose primary responsibilities will be to support Navarros Department of Energy, Office of Legacy Management (LM) Support contract in Grand Junction, Colorado. Legacy Managements mission is to provide long-term post-closure management of former environmental cleanup sites including conducting Long-Term Surveillance and Maintenance (LTS&M). LMs portfolio of site projects consists of former Office of Environmental Management (EM) sites, former uranium mill tailing (Uranium Mill Tailings Radiation Control Act [UMTRCA]) sites, DOE Defense Decontamination & Decommissioning (D&D) sites, Nuclear Waste Policy Act (NWPA) sites, private licensees, and sites associated with the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP. LM currently manages 100 sites in 28 states from Alaska to Puerto Rico. In addition, LM manages the verification and validation of Defense Related Uranium Mines (DRUM).
Position will be based in Grand Junction or Westminster Colorado and will require periodic travel to remote sites in the US. Other work locations in the US will be considered for remote telework assignment.
- This project geotechnical engineer will work on projects associated with engineering evaluations and maintenance of uranium mine tailings disposal cells previously closed under UMTRCA.
- Projects will include completing geotechnical and civil analysis and design work for structures and earthworks including settlement, transient drainage in tailings, slope stability, seepage, erosion, earth retention, and mine tailings dams.
- Responsibilities include performing geotechnical computer modeling; specifying and interpreting soil and rock investigations, including drilling and cone penetrometer testing; supervising in-situ and laboratory materials testing and installation of instrumentation for geotechnical assessment.
- Construction project work also involves completion of geotechnical and civil engineering aspects of alternatives analyses, feasibility studies, forensic evaluations, and preparation of design plans, specifications, reports, and cost estimates.
- Technical evaluation work will focus on disposal cell cover performance evaluation, engineering design and construction quality assurance associated with radon barriers, rock rip-rap covers, and evapotranspiration (ET) covers.
- Master's Degree (MS) in Geotechnical/Civil/Geological Engineering from an ABET accredited university (preferred), with additional coursework or research related to mine tailings and tailings storage facilities, dam engineering, seepage and slope stability, and/or advanced soil mechanics.
- Minimum 5 years industry experience in geotechnical engineering.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration is preferred.
- Education or work experience with geotechnical analysis and geotechnical computer modeling or other related software.
- Education or experience with geotechnical research of surface and subsurface hydrology including evaluations of internal erosion, backwards erosion, suffusion, and dispersion.
- Track record of work in cross-disciplinary teams from technical backgrounds including engineering, earth and planetary science, ecology, hydrology, and geochemistry.
- Experience with UMTRCA disposal cell covers and regulations is preferred.
- Due to the nature of the government contract requirements and/or clearances requirements, US citizenship is required.
Navarro is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability