Duke Corporate Education
Washington , DC 20001
Posted 4 months ago
The Project Director provides project management expertise to the design and delivery of Duke CEs executive educational programs, and is responsible for operationalizing client deliveries and ensuring their commerciality. The project director also takes part in account and business development.
Essential Duties and
Owns, drives, resources and manages a program plan and related project tasks to ensure flawless execution. This includes:
- Creating, driving and updating activity-based work plans and account plans
- Co-creating and managing project budgets and invoicing schedule
- Owning the contracting process
- Driving milestones and managing touchpoint client check ins, and managing the delivery of high quality outputs on time and to budget with client. Driving client decision-making through robust planning for decisions required and providing client options for decision. Managing risks and issues with the client proactively.
- Partnering with Managing Director, Program Manager and internal resources (GEN,) to ensure proper project sourcing and execution
- Regular contact with client, often as main point of day-to-day contact, managing and chairing meetings with appropriate project management tools and client relationship management. Documenting, executing and reporting back on client actions to the satisfaction of the client.
- Sourcing, vetting and managing external educators and faculty to optimize their contributions and experience ensuring the flow of project information in a timely manner
- Partnering with internal Duke CE resources (contracting, accounting, CCT) to ensure commercial success of projects.
Establishes strong professional credibility with clients providing Client Relationship Management (CRM)
- Owns the day-to-day interactions with the client; creates guidelines for communication frequency; understands clients wants/needs and manages against
- Full partnership with the client to understand their business ; stays on top of business challenges and trends
- Identifies potential risks and challenges with client relationships and projects
Active participant with Duke CE philosophies and design concepts
- Taking design steerage from MD and client and creating a detailed design.
- Applies creativity, sourcing, integration and design experience to create new, unique client learning journeys.
- Completes design to agreed design assurance criteria.
- Translates design into project plan
Contributes to business development
- Directly influences growth of existing client business through superior performance and building of client relationships.
- Contributes to winning new business, chiefly through the business development proposal process.
Understands and manages the commercial and operational imperatives for client work a delivery. This includes, and is not limited to:
- Financial management and profitability management
- Contracting and educator relationship management
- Resource planning
- Flawless execution
Actively works with the Managing Directors to guide and develop Program Managers (PM) capabilities; manages project team staff to ensure a successful delivery of programs Incorporates development of team members and self into daily client work and routines; works to create opportunities for feedback between all team members
Understands and participates in Duke CE program follow-up measures of After Action Reviews and Evaluation process
Frequently contributes to Duke CE knowledge systems and forums, sharing client, project and work practices with others
Builds a personal brand (in content, process, or relational) that clients look to for advice and partnership
Performs other job-related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned or required
Education and Experience
Bachelors degree (or equivalent) required; advanced degree preferred, A minimum of 3 to 5 years prior experience, including Project Management and CRM experience, preferably in a professional services environment and preferably with a formal project management qualification. Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point. Requires travel both domestically and globally ~ 50%
Position Knowledge, Skills and
Project Management Skills
- Able to set priorities, organize and manage multiple tasks independently
- Meets deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and quality
- Project management qualification preferred
Client Relationship Management
- Able to effectively communicate and build rapport with others
- Able to establish and maintain relationships with clients, vendors, faculty and key stakeholders
- Able to establish strong professional and personal credibility with others.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Understand budgeting, pricing and forecasting
- Understands how businesses make money
- Curious about client business and industry
- Understands learning outcomes
Business Development Mindset