Principal Mechanical Engineer
Thales Communication Inc
Clarksburg , MD 20871
Posted 4 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Thales Defense & Security, Inc., is a global company serving the defense, federal, and commercial markets with innovative communication solutions for the ground tactical, airborne and avionics, and naval/maritime markets. In addition to mission-critical communication systems, the company provides helmet-mounted displays and motion tracking technologies; SATCOM terminals; advanced sonar systems; air traffic management navigation, and surveillance, and simulation. Further, Thales Defense & Security, Inc. serves as a gateway for technology, leveraging Thales-wide solutionssuch as combat management systems; naval, airborne, and ground ISR; and electronic warfareto address U.S. requirements.
Thales Defense & Security, Inc. has an opening for a Senior Mechanical Engineer. This position is located in the Clarksburg office and reports to the Engineering Manager.
- lead mechanical design elements of new product development as a member of a multi-disciplined design team to successfully execute all phases of the product design process
- support the definition of products and requirements to support customer needs
- develop detailed design specifications and test plans
- develop creative conceptual designs to meet system requirements and support the product strategy
- implement design ideas into product designs using the latest materials, processes and manufacturing techniques in order to satisfy product requirements including cost and schedule requirements
- design and analyze small, lightweight, ruggedized mechanical design packaging and interconnects to meet key technical requirements using the latest in CAD/CAE tools
- fabricate rapid prototypes
- conduct verification testing
- support the transition of the design to full production, including supplier and manufacturing start-up
- support R&D efforts and continuous process improvements
- complete assigned tasks in a quality and timely manner with minimal supervision
- effectively support and communicate status, issues, needs and ideas to management
- U.S. Citizenship Required.
- BSME or MSME in Mechanical Engineering
- 4+ years of mechanical design experience
- ability to lead mechanical design elements of new product development as a member of a multi-disciplined design team from initial product conceptualization to production release and production transition with minimal supervision
- knowledge and experience designing electronics packaging products
- ability to analyze a design to meet technical requirements
- ability to effectively troubleshoot problems (define problem, collect data/facts, and draw conclusions), and implement solutions
- ability to think "out-of-the-box" and develop innovation design concepts
- knowledge and experience with designing for various production manufacturing processes, including machining, casting, injection molding, flexible and rigid PCBs, and cabling and interconnects
- experience with configuration management and managing design artifacts (BOMs, drawings, models, documents, etc) through prototype and production releases using product lifecycle management/configuration management software tools, ideally, PTC Windchill
- experience designing products for low, medium, and high volume manufacturing, and for low cost.
- experience and strong knowledge of industry/DoD standards and practices (MIL-STD, ASTM, ANSI, FCC, UL, CE, RoHS, REACH, IPC, etc.)
- proficiency in the use of CAD/CAE tools, ideally, Creo/ProEngineer or Solidworks
- experience with Microsoft Office tools, including MSExcel, MSWord, Visio and MSProject
- strong communication skills, both verbal and non-verbal
- strong organization and time management skills
- agility and innovation with a focus on quality and on-time delivery in a fast paced product development environment
- ability to design and deliver low size, weight, power solutions which are cost effective and can survive some of the harshest environments on and off of the earth.
- ability to apply and advance engineering knowledge, experience, methods to solve highly technical challenges, with strong mechanical engineering design and analysis technical skills in heat transfer, structural, vibrations, materials science, manufacturing/fabrication processes, testing, and quality
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. Thales is an E-Verify employer.
Thales is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need an accommodation or assistance in order to apply for a position with Thales, please call Human Resources at 240-864-7549.