Domtar Port Huron , MI 48061
Domtar produces 4.2 million metric tons of hardwood, softwood, and fluff pulp at 12 mills in North America, both for internal consumption and external market sales. Domtar is the largest integrated marketer and manufacturer of uncoated free sheet paper in North America, with 10 pulp and paper mills producing approximately 3.4 million tons of uncoated free sheet paper annually. Paper manufacturing operations are supported by 15 converting and distribution operations including a network of 12 plants located offsite of paper making operations. Approximately 81% of paper production capacity is in the U.S. with the remaining 19% being in Canada.
Domtar is currently seeking a Plant Electrical Engineer for the Port Huron, MI mill. The mill is a four machine non-integrated operation producing 115,000 tons of lightweight specialty and printing papers annually. End uses for Port Huron products include packaging and converting grades for quick-serve foods, candy, and medical market segments, as well as papers for various books, catalogs, and financial publications.
The Plant Electrical Engineer reports to the Engineering Leader and is responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, inspections, coordination and reliability of the mill's power distribution system. The engineer will represent the mill and coordinate activity and resolve issues between the mill power distribution system and the mill electrical power provider. The engineer will also be involved in identifying and developing capital projects relating to power distribution upgrades consistent with NFPA70E and the National Electrical Code and installations, modifications, and upgrades of AC and DC variable speed drives and motors, programmable logic controllers, motor controls and motor control centers as well as maintaining our assets and driving reliability improvements. This position provides opportunities for growth and involvement in all things electrical and electrical-related. Growth opportunities exist within the mill as well as the wider Domtar organization.
The Plant Electrical Engineer works closely with the Power Plant leadership as well as the mill maintenance organization and outside power suppliers to:
Facilitate the identification, prioritization, and implementation of key improvement opportunities within our power distribution network
Facilitate the identification, prioritization, and implementation of capital improvement opportunities on Paper Machines and supporting equipment
Facilitate the identification, prioritization, and implementation of reliability improvement and asset management
Ensure that correct specifications, standards, tools, and safety practices are in place and being used to allow proper decisions at the proper level of the organization
Effectively manage relationships and information between the corporation, the mill and supplies/contractors
Provide tactical involvement in the area of drives both package and sectional
Participate in or lead problem solving events (PSE) for internal issues of note
Promote and support activities that support Best-In-Class safety performance
Participate in updates of mill electrical safety procedures
Participate in yearly annual outages to maintain the proper operation of the mill power distribution system
Maintain open business relationships with other engineering professionals within the Domtar organization to identify and share best practices
Successful candidates must meet the following requirements for consideration:
Bachelor of Science Electrical Engineering
Proficiency with modern office software tools, proficiency with AutoCAD
Minimum of 5 years experience in manufacturing or power distribution management
Strong project management, planning, communication, and problem solving skills
Leadership experience is a plus
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by law.