Personal Support Counselor
The League For People With Disabilities
Baltimore , MD 21239
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
We are in search of caring, compassionate people to support people with disabilities in their pursuit of independence. Our Personal Supports Program supports individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities in their homes and communities. The Personal Support Counselor works one on one with an assigned participant and helps them work toward the goals in their Plan of Care. You will work with your participant and their family to help them improve socialization, self-help and communication skills. You will then document your participant's progress in an easy to use app on your phone or other device.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicate with participants, families, professional staff and community members in a professional participant-focused manner.
- Communicate participant and programmatic needs with the Program Manager.
- Develop a positive working relationship with assigned participant(s) and their families.
- Treat the participants goals as their own, working with the participant, family and professional staff to achieve goals.
- Plan and initiate age-appropriate community activities.
- Document participant(s) progress in the iCareManager App within the required timeframe.
- Actively participate in both staff and interdisciplinary team meetings.
- Facilitate building participants self-esteem through positive interactions.
- Follow all agency and program specific policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate the 5 Core Values of The League (Accountability, Participant Focus, Quality, Independence and Mutual Respect)
- Minimum age of 18.
- A smartphone, tablet or laptop that can support applications.
- Access to a reliable automobile and a valid drivers license with no more than 3 points.
- Ability to lift participants up to 70 lbs. in accordance with established safe lifting procedures.
Educational and/or Experience:
- Prefer at least one year of experience working with people with disabilities.
- High School diploma required.
- Preference given to candidates with specific areas of experience/expertise (i.e., ASL, autism, behavior management, seizure disorder, etc.).
Paid Sick/Safe leave
Matching 401K if you work at least 1000 hours in a year
Free gym membership