Luke's Medical Center
A quaternary care facility that is home of the Texas Heart Institute, a world-class cardiovascular research and education institution founded in 1962 by Denton A. Cooley, MDconsistently ranked as one of the nation's best in Cardiovascular Services & Heart Surgery.
The first hospital in Texas and the Southwest designated a Magnet hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, receiving the award four consecutive times. Baylor St.
Luke's is home to three freestanding community emergency centers (Holcombe, Pearland, and San Felipe) offering adult and pediatric caretreating more than 51,000 patients annually. The hospital holds a collaborative partnership with Baylor College of Medicine and affiliations with The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, The University of Texas Medical Branch (Galveston), Houston Baptist University, and Prairie View A&M University.
Performs a variety of routine tasks to support the delivery of safe, effective, cost-efficient patient care as delegated by the RN. They provide assistance in transporting, transferring and lifting. They perform cleaning functions in patient care unit as delegated, and perform selected diagnostic tests.
High School Diploma/GED Required
Based on location assignment may also require BLS/ACLS/ and or PALS
One (1) year direct patient care experience or proven on the job competency
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Good written/oral communication skills
Completion of PCA II orientation/training
1.Provides direct patient care as delegated by RN staff
2.Monitors and records vital signs
3.Assists in providing personal hygiene and physical care needs
4.Accurately measures, records, and reports intake and output
5.Obtains and records daily weight
6.Performs blood glucose testing using blood glucose meter
7.Reports changes in patient's status promptly to RN
8.Performs as patient care companion when needed
9.Assists in the admission, transfer and discharge process
10. Performs unit housekeeping needs.
11. Acts as a runner/transporter
12. Acts as receptionist for unit; has limited use of the hospital information systems according to hospital policy dependent on the need of unit
13. Checks and documents refrigerator temperatures as delegated, reporting variances to appropriate personnel
14. Updates assigned bed status
15. Answers call lights and telephone
16. Keeps patient environment clean, Performs comfort rounds, keeps hallways clear of obstruction, reports safety issues and broken equipment appropriately, and adheres to patient safety precautions
17. Communicates with patient's family, physicians, and unit personnel and peers in an accurate, courteous, and professional manner
18. Performs phlebotomy and 12 lead EKGs as permitted on the assigned unit
19. Removes saline locks
Catholic Health Initiatives