Part-Time Veterinary Technician - Memphis Animal Clinic
Southern Veterinary Partners
Memphis , TN 37501
Posted 2 months ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Memphis Animal Clinic is a full service companion animal hospital located in the heart of midtown Memphis. As an American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) accredited hospital, pet owners gain peace of mind when they choose Memphis Animal Clinic, because they know our AAHA-accredited vet hospital has passed the highest standards of veterinary care. We provide quality, individualized vet care for all stages of your pets life - plus boarding services to care for your pets when you travel out of Memphis and spa grooming services to help pamper them! Beyond cats and dogs, we welcome pocket pets, ferrets and other small mammals as patients. Would you like to join a fun loving and diversified team? At Memphis Animal Clinic, you're not just staff you're family!
The Veterinary Technician (Vet Tech) is responsible for assisting Veterinarians in the care of animals. The Vet Tech helps during patient examinations and surgical procedures by restraining animals when necessary, stocking examination and surgery rooms with supplies, sterilizing tools and ensuring that equipment is in working order. Vet Techs also communicate with clients (pet owners) and update patient files. This position may perform an initial evaluation of the animals condition, clean and wrap wounds, check vital statistics, collect samples and administer medication.
- Assist doctors with appointments, surgery, and client education per hospital policy.
- Perform initial evaluation of the pets condition and advise doctor regarding nature of visit, preventative care due and client concerns.
- Obtain and prepare laboratory samples as requested by the veterinarian, i.e. urine, fecal and ear cytology.
- Notify the doctor of lab results in a timely fashion.
- Restrain animals in a safe, efficient and compassionate manner during examinations and procedures.
- Prepare and set up for surgical procedures while utilizing knowledge of proper sterile field requirements.
- Monitor recovery of surgery patients and communicate with owners per hospital policy.
- Accurately prepare and dispense medications as directed by the doctor, ensuring that medications are added to the pets record and appropriately charged to the client.
- Know vaccination guidelines within the hospital and administer vaccinations under the direction of the doctor.
- Monitor hospitalized pets and perform treatments as directed by the doctor.
- Utilize hospital computer systems to document medical records and communicate with clients and teammates.
- High School diploma or GED certificate with one (1) year of experience as a Veterinary Technician required with license to practice Veterinary Technology within the state of TN
- Flexible schedule including some weekend and holiday shifts
- Must have computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with Cornerstone software preferred
- Must possess strong communication skills, good judgment and be able to manage stressful situations.
- Must have the physical and mental capacity to perform in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Medical procedures and animal handling will be trained thoroughly on the job; however, excellent communication skills, a sense of urgency, and working harmoniously with teammates is required.
- Must be dependable, demonstrate strong work ethic, and a willingness to learn.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Competitive salary, based on experience and expertise
- Discounted Veterinary Care
- A large network of over 1,000 veterinary professionals who all share common interest in promoting a collaborative working environment and individual career growth
- Opportunity to make an impact in your community while tackling a challenging, variety of tasks and the ability to help animals among a great team of people!