Operations Manager - Engineered Wood Products Distribution
Eastern Engineered Wood Products
Bethlehem , PA
Posted 1 week ago
Eastern Engineered Wood Products is a two-step wholesale distribution company, focused solely on selling engineered lumber to the building supply trade.
We are a family owned business that takes pride in providing quality products and service. We strive to learn and grow, consistently implementing quality and process improvements, so we can be a preferred and trusted partner for our customers.
We are dedicated to safety. We diligently track, promote, and reward safety-minded practices and behaviors.
We are a team of experienced employees committed to fostering a work environment which is encouraging and respectful of our employees thereby promoting dedication, productivity, teamwork, and longevity.
A successful Operations Manager leads by example while managing day-to-day operations of the Bethlehem, PA Distribution Center and EWP inventory. Responsible for managing all aspects of operational safety and health, order fulfillment, inventory management, forklift fleet & equipment, and facilities. The Operations Manager will identify and lead continuous improvement projects and initiatives. This position requires placing safety at the forefront of all activities by meeting and exceeding best-in-class safety standards. The Operations Manager will monitor and improve safety, quality, and productivity through monthly metrics and assigned goals. Achieves customer service success while directing and coordinating activities of the operations department to increase productivity, decrease and eliminate waste, and maximize profits by performing the following duties personally or through delegation to direct reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned, as business goals require.
- Assist in hiring process and develop teams that personify and exemplify the companys core values.
- Manage appropriately to develop a customer-centric organization that is encouraging and respectful to our employees and customers.
- Maintain and manage the Bethlehem facility with a focus on Safety, Quality and Continuous Improvement.
- Identify, seek out, and procure or conduct training to enhance the effectiveness of teams and individuals.
- Track the performance of teams and individuals and develop and implement strategies to improve performance.
- Collaborate with different departments to assist in cultivating a strong culture and work ethic.
Inventory and Order Fulfillment
- Manage complete inventory lifecycle from receiving and stocking to picking, restocking, rotating, wrapping and rewrapping, cycle counting, returns and adjustments.
- Work closely with the EWP Product Manager and Operations Supervisors to maintain inventory accuracy and to understand demand runs and trends.
- Manage complete order fulfillment lifecycle from receipt of pick ticket, designing orders, creating work orders or substitutions, issuing work, picking, cutting, banding, quality assurance, loading, securing, and delivery.
- Provide input into the annual Budget and Capital Expenditure process.
Facility Management, Tools and Equipment
Customer Service and Product Support
- Investigate and resolve customer complaints and issues.
- Support resolution of supplier and product issues including warranty claims.
- Conduct inventory counts and investigations to support customer quality resolution.
- Collaborate with customer service and product management to provide answers and status regarding Bethlehem EWP inventory and products.
- Collaborate with CSRs and Product Management to provide status of order and resolve issues regarding Bethlehem EWP Inventory and products.
Safety, Continuous Improvement and Project Management
- Lead and support daily safety operations by reinforcing safety procedures, PPE and culture.
- Lead and support the Continuous Improvement program through monthly 5S, 8D root cause analysis/investigation, projects, and ongoing training.
- Lead projects from ROI/budgeting phase to completion.
- Ensure project success with seamless communication and timeline accountability.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Achievement Focus- Sets and achieves challenging goals; demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; measures self against standard of excellence; recognizes and acts on opportunities; takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Servant Leadership Possess an inclination toward and desire to ensure your team members have everything they need to be successful and do their best work every day. Leadership oriented in this manner requires the individual to look after the needs of their teammates before their own by ensuring they have the training, tools, equipment, and systems necessary to complete their work safely, efficiently and without errors.
- Conflict Resolution- Encourages open communications; confronts difficult situations; maintains objectivity; keeps emotions under control; uses negotiation skills to resolve conflicts.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Problem Solving- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Communications - Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
- Managing Customer Focus- Promotes customer focus; establishes customer service standards; provides training in customer service delivery; monitors customer satisfaction; develops new approaches to meeting customer needs.
- Managing People- Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
- Quality Management- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; sets goals and objectives; organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; develops realistic action plans.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year College, trade or vocational training resulting in professional certificate and/or on-the-job training and experience with an emphasis on managing people, processes, and equipment, is preferred. A minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience with increasing responsibility is preferred. Experience in the EWP, lumber, or construction industries are preferred. Experience with leading teams in all weather conditions and outdoor environments is preferred.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual will demonstrate expertise with the Microsoft Office Suite, exhibiting exceptional skills with the use of Excel. Knowledge of Crystal Reporting, BisTrack, or other ERP software is a plus.
Identify Theft Protection