Nutrition And Procurement Specialist
Little Rock School District Child Nutrition Dept.
Little Rock , AR 72201
Posted 2 weeks ago
The Nutrition and Procurement Coordinator will plan menus for all food programs, conduct nutritional analysis of menus, provide guidance for menu modifications for students with diet restrictions, and oversee the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program. Under general supervision, procures food, supplies, equipment, services, and USDA commodities for food and nutrition operations. Prepare and evaluate formal bid specifications, solicitations, request for proposals, contracts, and quotes for food, small and large equipment, supplies, products, and services.
Reports Directly to the Director of Child Nutrition.
Terms of Employment:
$34,045 to $60,035 - Twelve (12) month, 245-day contract, plus benefit package. NOTE: Precise placement within the salary range will be determined based upon experience. FLSA: Exempt.
- Bachelor's Degree in job related field required: Food Science and Nutrition, Dietetics, Food Systems Management, Family and Consumer Sciences, or other similarly related fields.
- Minimum of two years’ experience with school nutrition operations and policies; preferably a school district, institutional food setting, or agency administering USDA feeding programs. Specifically, an understanding of school food procurement, menu planning and nutrient analysis, standardized recipes, and the menu components that meet the requirements for reimbursable meals.
- Preference will be given to a Registered Dietitian or in process, School Nutrition Specialist credentialed by the School Nutrition Association, or to persons with 3 years’ experience or more in a school district food program with prior job duties that included menu planning and production, accommodating special diets, and writing and evaluating bid specifications.
- Must possess and demonstrate a strong child nutrition program knowledge-base, be independent and autonomous to balance diverse duties, manage projects, achieve team and individual goals and meet established deadlines.
- Demonstrated skills in utilization of software applications including nutrient data input, menu planning and analysis, web based and advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Programs specifically Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written; establish and maintain good working relationships with others.
BASIC PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans menus that are consistent with meal pattern contributions for a reimbursable meal with nutritional content that complies with applicable federal regulations and nutrition standards.
- Responsible for the nutritional analysis of all menus while monitoring cost of portions.
- Determines ala-carte menu maximum portions for ala-carte program compliance, while assisting in monitoring product profitability and/or loss.
- Knowledge of specific diseases that require dietary restrictions.
- Receives, approves, and updates all meal modifications for student meals and provides feeding instructions and training to the child nutrition managers and assistants as needed. Consults with physicians, school nurses, and parents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Develops, review, maintain, and safeguard a variety of auditable records and reports related to assigned tasks.
- Researches and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, selection, service, support, availability, reliability, production, and distribution capabilities as well as the reputation and history.
- Obtains verbal or written quotations for all items not subject to the bidding process; determine quantities to order, select appropriate vendor, and verify compliance with specifications.
- Solicits sample food products from vendors for taste testing and food demonstrations, while maintaining a written log of products received and sampled. Maintains nutrition specifications for all food procured and evaluates current food sales to ensure Smart Snack compliance.
- Reviews procurement documents for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with rules and regulations; discuss evaluations and review with assigned team members and Child Nutrition Director.
- Maintains a variety of reports, records, and files, including vendor catalogs, brochures, bid
expiration log, purchasing calendar, and Safety Data Sheets.
- Visits school sites to become acquainted with specific needs; notify Child Nutrition Director of new products; arrange for demonstrations, taste testing of newly researched products, and employee training on new equipment and products.
- Investigates complaints about the quality of food, materials or equipment received and ensures adjustments/credits are submitted to the financial coordinator; assisting with preparing source documents for the Directors’ signature.
- Evaluates and monitors contract performance to ensure compliance with contracted obligations; assist with clarifying contract requirements and resolving any conflicts.
- Monitors and submits information for the department’s product rebates and updates nutritional information on the district’s website. Creates bi-annual survey of students and parents to receive suggestions regarding preferred foods prepared, menu items, and services, while ensuring that survey results impact the nutrition program in a manner that is consistent with program operations and optimum nutritional standards.
- Coordinates the use of multiple approaches for surveying and informing stakeholders; of menus, nutritional information, and other available services (website, newsletters, printed menus, etc.).
- Plans and manages activities related to marketing strategies, grant opportunities, and quality assurances processes.
- Attends meetings, workshops, conferences, vendor shows, and seminars to maintain current knowledge of trends and program regulations; coordinate special projects as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Mental Functions, Physical Requirements, and Working Conditions:
Must be physically able to lift heavy loads (up to 25 pounds) and stand for long periods of time. Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job and possess the ability to work in all environmental conditions perform common functions and duties. required to move about the campuses and to drive within the
Salary: $34,045.00 to $60,035.00 /year