You must have a current Minnesota RN license before you can apply. If you do not provide your Minnesota RN license number your application will not be approved.
There are currently openings for a Registered Nurse in the Correctional Health facilities, Ramsey County Care Center, and the Ramsey County Detoxification Center.
If an internal candidate is selected, salary will be set in accordance with the personnel rules, i.e. promotion, transfer, or voluntary reduction.
To assess, prescribe, perform and document independent nursing practices at Ramsey County Correctional Facilities, Ramsey County Care Center, Lake Owasso Residence, the Ramsey County Detoxification Center, the Mental Health Division of Social Services, or under the direction of a Public Health Nurse; to perform and document dependent functions such as carrying out the physician's medical orders; to assist physicians with diagnostic and treatment procedures; to provide a safe and therapeutic environment for a variety of patients; to coordinate, communicate, interpret, and explain patient care services to the patient, the patient's family, health professionals and important others; to perform related duties as assigned.
To view or print a copy of the complete Ramsey County job (class) description for this job, go to: Job Descriptions. Once at this page, you can browse the alphabetical list of job descriptions.
Examples of Work Performed
1.Promote a diverse, culturally competent, and respectful workplace.
2.Monitor patient's condition by documenting vital signs, observe monitoring equipment, take blood pressure, note intake and output, observe patient behavior, and take emergency or corrective action.
3.Provide physical comfort to patients through bathing, positioning, administering pain medications as ordered by the physician, and providing bed pans.
4.Assist physician with diagnostic procedures such as x-rays and laboratory tests, by positioning patient, explaining the procedures and drawing blood.
5.Provide emotional support to patients and their families by listening to them, encouraging expression of their feelings, and explaining treatment procedures.
6.Administer prescribed treatments such as wound care, catheter, tracheotomy, colostomy, ileostomy and gastrostomy care.
7.Educate patients by instructing them about ordered tests, procedures and medications, home care, and explain and demonstrate the types of equipment and instruments used in the procedures.
8.Assess and triage nursing needs of patients by observation and interview in order to identify problems, symptoms, and physical, behavioral, and psychological alterations and/or changes.
9.Prescribe nursing interventions based on assessment for patient care needs related to mobility, rest and sleep, pain and comfort, ventilation, nutrition, elimination, skin integrity, emotional support, and psychological orientation.
10. Provide direct nursing care to patients by performing care measures such as , positioning, ambulating, range of motion; perform technical skills such as measuring blood pressures, temperature, pulse, respiration; observe monitoring equipment and make judgements about the physiological parameters being measured; initiate, maintain and monitor intravenous therapy; provide maintenance and troubleshooting for patients on mechanical ventilators; perform cardiac output measurements; administer medications and evaluate their effectiveness and/or side effects/adverse reactions; perform emergency measures such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
11. Document observations, interventions, and evaluations of all nursing care provided.
12. Educate patients by instructing them about ordered tests, procedures, and medications; how to carry out their continued care after discharge including use of prescribed equipment, give self-injections and reinforce/clarify the knowledge they have about their disease process.
13. Act as a patient advocate, facilitate resourceful utilization of health care services, equipment and supplies and identify problems that may be appropriately referred to the patient representative.
14. Develop and write nursing care plans, write nursing orders. Assess patients' mental and physical status and provide nursing diagnoses.
15. Make immediate decisions in case of emergency and notify physicians, paramedics, fire department or other assistance as needed.
16. Provide specific information to patients regarding the process and treatment of chemical dependency.
17. Provide health assessment, management and triage services for patients receiving detoxification services.
(The work assigned to a position in this classification may not include all possible tasks in this work and does not limit the assignment of any additional tasks in this classification. Regular attendance according to the position's management approved work schedule is required.)
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Education: Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse by the State of Minnesota, or have a permit to practice professional nursing authorized by the Minnesota Board of Nursing. Applicants who qualify based on a permit are subject to the limitations prescribed by the Minnesota Board of Nursing.
Exam/Screening Process Information
Examination/Screening Process: The examination for Nurse will consist of a training and experience rating, comprised of the questions in the attached supplemental questionnaire.
The rating on this supplemental questionnaire will depend on the answers provided. A candidate must pass the training and experience rating in order to be advanced in the process.
Eligible List: The names of all applicants who pass the training and experience rating and file a properly completed application shall be placed on the eligible list for employment as a Nurse.
This list will be certified to the appointing authority which may use this list to fill a vacancy. Candidates will remain on the list for three months or until hired, whichever occurs first. A notice will be sent to applicants at the time the eligible list is posted, informing them that the list has been posted and their rank on the list. The department may choose to interview any candidate on the eligible list.
Veterans' Preference: This is a classified position requiring an open, competitive selection process.
Veterans' Preference points will be applied after a candidate passes the examination process. Applicants who are eligible for veteran's preference should update their DD214, and other supporting documents, and submit them as an attachment at the time of application.
Criminal Background Checks: All employment offers are conditioned upon the applicant passing a criminal background check.
Convictions are not an automatic bar to employment. Each case is considered on its individual merits and the type of work sought. However, making false statements or withholding information will cause you to be barred from employment, or removed from employment.
Ramsey County participates in the federal E-Verify program. This means that Ramsey County will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
If the Government cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, Ramsey County is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact DHS and/or the SSA before taking adverse action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers may not use E-Verify to pre-screen job applicants and may not limit or influence the choice of documents you present for use on the Form I-9.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Ramsey County provides equal access to employment, programs and services without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex (except when sex is a Bona Fide Occupational Qualification), disability, marital status, sexual orientation or gender identity, public assistance or national origin.
For further information regarding this posting, please contact Emily Chmel at Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (651) 266-2722.