The position oversees the Bariatric Wellness Center and is accountable for managing the continuum of care to the bariatric patients encompassing all aspects of care from the pre-admission to post discharge. The position is responsible for maintaining communication with the Medical Director of the Bariatric Program, the physicians and nurses involved in the patient's care, physician offices and the case management department in order to facilitate the scheduling, admission, treatment and discharge processes.
Demonstrates proficiency in coordinating services to the assigned bariatric patient population and collaborating to maintain superior clinical outcomes. Participates in related continuing education and data collection. Assists with maintaining the hospital status of Bariatric Center of Excellence. The position functions within the scope of Nurse Practitioner license.
The following are essential job accountabilities:
1.Demonstrates Providence & Services Valley Service Area's core values of respect, justice, compassion, stewardship, and excellence to customers, employees, and visitors; and provides quality service in the performance of work assignments and duties. (2)
2.Develops Clinic policies, procedures, and objectives as well as improving organization performance program, patient/customer safety, environmental, and infection control policies. (1,2,3)
3.Manages clinic operations. (1)
4.Performs and participates in budget preparation management and analysis of program financial results. (1)
5.Establishes and maintains communication between the nursing unit and ancillary
departments for the purpose of problem solving. Utilizes appropriate lines of
communication within the nursing department. (1,2,3)
6.Selects, trains/orients, assigns department staff, evaluates performance, and makes recommendations for personnel actions. (1,3)
7.Ensures that nursing standards and practices are developed and met. (2,3)
8.Demonstrates proactive leadership skills of delegation, organization, and coordination in running assigned unit: delegates these responsibilities as appropriate. (3)
9.Prepares patients for scheduled procedures to assist in patient assessment. (1,2,3,4)
10. Performs physical examinations in Bariatric Wellness Center after surgery. (1)
11. Assists attending physicians, patients, and families as needed in times of stress or crisis. (1,2,3)
12. Assists with scheduled surgeries, diagnostic testing, and coordinates consulting specialists. (1)
13. Educates staff on specialty cases. (1)
14. Monitors outcomes. (1)
15. Develops/assists in developing supportive services (e.g., support groups, educational classes to nursing staff, develop and maintain critical pathways.).
16. Documents in a clear, complete, concise, and organized manner. Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records. Maintains all required reports, records, statistics, etc. (1,2,3)
17. Interacts with medical support staff and physicians assigned to individual patients
to facilitate the recognition, isolation, and resolution of potential discharge problems. (1)
18. Identifies patient/family discharge needs to ensure that both receive support with resources and placement assistance. (1)
19. Investigates problems of communication regarding ethical issues that may surface
between professionals and patients as they related to legal counsel and/or risk
management. Attempts to rectify these problems through appropriate mechanisms,
such as the ethics committee, policy modification, or educational efforts. (1,2,3)
20. Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, professional affiliations, current literature, inservice meetings, and workshops, and successful completion and maintenance of required certifications of specialty areas. (1,3)
21. Attends meetings as required. (1,2,3)
22. Coordinates with Medical Director of Bariatric Services the development and expansion of a MIS Bariatric service.
23. Provides support to any research projects as they relate to the program. (1)
24. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
1 The performance of this function is the reason that the job exists.
2 This occupies a great deal of the employee's time.
3 Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
4 Exposure to bloodborne pathogens that requires use of personal protective equipment
Current California Licensed Registered Nurse
Current California Licensed Nurse Practitioner (Adult, Acute or Family) MSN required
Experience with Bariatric Patient population and/or Bariatric Surgery
3-5 years nursing experienced
3-5 years care management experience
Experience as an advanced practice nurse
Computer Applications (Word, Windows)
Customer Service Skills
BLS for Healthcare Providers sponsored by the American Heart Association. (NOTE: If employee/applicant has certification by the American Red Cross, this will be accepted until expiration. At that time, renewal must be sponsored by the American Heart Association.)
Providence Health & Services