Description: Middle/High School English Teacher
1.Valid Pennsylvania Department of Education Certification in content area required.
2.Fulfill all performance responsibilities successfully.
3.Possess knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed below.
4.Willingness to work with special needs students as directed.
5.Maintain a positive attitude with students.
6.Such alternatives to the above as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable. .
REPORTS TO: Principal and Assistant Principal
JOB GOAL: Maximizes students' fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, and psychological growth and maturation as able and responsible adults.
1.Meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
2.Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning within the limits of the resources provided by the district, and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
3.Prepare for classes assigned, and show written evidence of preparation upon request of superiors in the form of lesson plans and other organizational techniques.
4.Insist that students uphold high standards of classroom behavior
5.Assist the administration in implementing all policies governing student life and conduct.
6.Develop reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintain order in a fair and just manner.
7.Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided, the needs and capabilities of the individuals or groups of students involved, and with stated objectives.
8.Strive to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and curricular and instructional goals and objectives which are communicated to students.
9.Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
10. Assess the accomplishments of students, as well as the progress of teaching on a regular ongoing basis.
11. Maintain accurate, complete and correct records as require by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
12. Assist in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations, and Board policy.
13. Make provisions for being available to students and parents for educationally related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
14. Attend and participate in faculty meetings, and serve on staff committees as required.
15. Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
16. Assist in the selection of books, equipment and other instructional materials.
17. Accept a share of responsibilities for co-curricular activities as assigned
18. Work to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning both the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
19. Establish and maintain cooperative relations with others.
20. Maintain a high degree of personal technical competence through ongoing review of literature, workshops and coursework.
21. Make provisions for the diversified learning needs of students on an ongoing basis seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
22. Counsel with colleagues, students and /or parents on a regular basis.
23. Any other duties assigned by the Superintendent or his/her designee.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret literature, periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and administrative regulations. Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedures. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from individual groups of colleagues, students, and supervisors.
Ability to calculate, problem solve and apply mathematic concepts of courses assigned to teach.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variable in situation where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to apply knowledge of current research and theory in a specific field. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the community.
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written form. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and talk and hear. The employee will occasionally sit and walk, and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally push and / or move up to 50 pounds such as a TV/VCR/Computers.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The employee continuously interacts with the public and other staff and occasionally meets multiple demands from several people.
The work environment characteristics describe here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Most work is performed indoors.
The information contained in this job description is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Subject to the provisions of the contract between the Kane Area Education Association (KAEA) and the Kane Area School Board of Directors.
EVALUATION: Performance will be evaluated annually in accordance with Pennsylvania Department of Education guidelines.
KASD is an EOE
Kane Area School District