Middle School Science Teacher (23-24)
Brooklyn , NY 11216
Posted 4 days ago
Middle School Science Teacher, Brooklyn, New York
In-Person Work Required
This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime.
WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our goal is to provide students with curriculum and instruction that is both standards-aligned curriculum and culturally responsive. Our approach is designed to provide the conditions to nurture students as critical thinkers and natural problem-solvers. As an organization, we are committed to engaging in work that disrupts and roots out systems and structures that perpetuate white supremacy. We intentionally seek to build and maintain a diverse and talented team that reflects the backgrounds and experiences of our students and creates an inclusive environment for all employees.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusivewe can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
You are an educator with experience teaching grades 6-8. You are ready to lead a classroom and excited to work closely with students in an approximately 20:1 student-to-teacher ratio. You prioritize student engagement, critical thinking, and relationship building in the classroom. You have demonstrated that you are a reflective practitioner and prioritize the needs of your students first and are committed to doing the work to educate the whole child.
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Exceptional level of patience and focus to overcome challenges, and achieve results
- Strong classroom management skills: you can set high expectations in the classroom and keep scholars engaged
- Science content knowledge
- Exceptional communication skills: you shine in front of the classroom and through written and verbal communication
- Detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Classroom teaching experience required; 2 years preferred
- Bachelors degree required
- New York State Teaching Certification, preferred
- Masters Degree in Education, preferred
WHAT YOULL DO
As a Middle School Science Teacher, you will lead classrooms of about 20 middle school students. You will be expected to manage the following daily:
- Provide a range of instructional, management, and assessment strategies to meet the different needs of students
- Create thoughtful and engaging unit and lesson plans daily
- Participate in creating, revising, administering, and grading assessments
- Keep accurate and organized records of student information
- Provide tutoring to small student groups as required
- Collaborate with colleagues across content areas and grade levels
- Attend and actively participate in all meetings including PLCs, grade-level meetings, and PD sessions
- Conduct parent-teacher conferences as needed, as well as ongoing parent communication
- Ensure the safety of students at all times
- Assist with non-instructional supervision of students, such as arrival/dismissal, hallway monitoring, substitute teaching, lunch and playground duty, or supervision of extracurricular activities
- Actively engage in identity work and necessary conversations in order to dismantle white supremacy culture
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Explore Schools offers our staff a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Our salary scale for this role has been established using an equity lens and is based on relevant years of experience, education, and NYS certification.
- Teachers with a bachelor's degree and between 0 10 years of experience can expect to receive an annualized base salary of $62,710 - $84,000 for the 2023-2024 school year. Teachers with a master's degree and between 0 10 years of experience can expect to receive an annualized base salary of $67,486 - $93,636 for the 2023-2024 school year.
- We believe teachers get better and are able to deepen their impact over time. Our scale for this role is designed to honor this, and we do not cap years of experience for an incoming teacher. Increases are offered each year based on your tenure.
- We also offer a variety of additional compensation opportunities including stipends for additional time worked and leadership opportunities, additional pay for specialized certifications, and more.
- The Recruitment team will be able to share more information about our additional compensation opportunities, along with where you will be placed on the scale during your first phone screen.
Additionally, you can expect:
- A competitive and comprehensive benefits plan, covering up to 95% of the cost for employees and their families. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, employer paid disability and life insurance, parental leave benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time and paid holidays, professional development, continuing education scholarships, referral bonuses, employee assistance program (EAP), childcare assistance, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching, and more!
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, team cohesion, and shared responsibility for decision-making, development, and team-wide priorities
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
- Opportunities to sit on various committees and participate in initiatives central to key organizational decisions and strategic planning
- Our school-based staff also receive:
- Professional development: weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and ongoing coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive scholarship funds towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Our ESI Staff also have the opportunity to seek out and attend professional development, have a supervisor committed to their growth and development, and are eligible to apply to our staff scholarship program.
LOCATION AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Explore Schools is a network of 8 charter schools located in Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our schools are currently operating fully in person. For this position:
- In-person work is required.
- This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime.
- The standard workweek is 45 hours, though at times you may work more.
- This role requires that you be able to stand for at least 5 hours a day, take multiple trips up and down the stairs in a day, and move quickly in an emergency.
- As this is an in-person role in a DOE building, all staff members are required to follow the COVID-19 vaccine mandate. Please reach out to email@example.com if you'd like to see a copy of the mandate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As discussed in our Who We Are section, Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is important to us that all staff members have a place of employment that is free of discrimination of all kinds and where staff can bring their authentic selves to work. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran, or military status. If any employee or applicant believes they have been discriminated against, they should let Rachel Modica-Russell or Tiffany Williams know immediately.