Middle School Apprentice Teacher
Brooklyn , NY 11216
Posted 2 days ago
Middle School Apprentice Teacher, Brooklyn, New York
In-Person Work Required
This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime.
WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. Our goal is to provide students with curriculum and instruction that is both standards-aligned curriculum and culturally responsive. Our approach is designed to provide the conditions to nurture students as critical thinkers and natural problem-solvers. As an organization, we are committed to engaging in work that disrupts and roots out systems and structures that perpetuate white supremacy. We intentionally seek to build and maintain a diverse and talented team that reflects the backgrounds and experiences of our students and creates an inclusive environment for all employees.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusivewe can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
Explore Schools is seeking passionate and dedicated educators to join our faculty. You have some experience working with children but may have limited or no experience leading a classroom. You are interested in contributing to an environment where you can prioritize student engagement, critical thinking, and relationship building in the classroom. The most successful teachers in our network love challenges, collaboration, and building meaningful relationships with all students.
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Exceptional communication skills
- Organized with strong attention to detail
- Skilled at project managing
- Ability to influence and motivate others
- Expertise in change management
- Bachelors degree required, Masters degree in education preferred
WHAT YOULL DO
This role will work as a support teacher in one classroom, while refining skills under the guidance of an experienced teacher. The Apprentice Teacher will receive professional development in many aspects of teaching, including classroom management, planning standards-aligned lessons, and delivering rigorous instruction that puts the cognitive load on students. You will be expected to manage the following daily:
- Operate professionally, in accordance with our Operating Values and Staff Handbook
- Serve as the lead teacher for one period of instruction each day
- Support the mentor teacher throughout all instructional blocks
- Lead small group instruction in math and literacy
- Attend and actively participate in all meetings including PLCs, grade-level meetings, and PD sessions
- Collaborate with colleagues across content areas and grade levels
- Participate in creating, revising, administering, and grading assessments
- Keep accurate and organized records of student information
- Conduct parent-teacher conferences as needed, as well as ongoing parent communication
- Support planning for and attend Curriculum Nights and Back to School Night
- Ensure the safety of students at all times
- Assist with non-instructional supervision of students, such as arrival/dismissal, hallway monitoring, substitute teaching, lunch and playground duty, or supervision of extracurricular activities
- Actively engage in identity work and necessary conversations in order to dismantle white supremacy culture
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Explore Schools offers our staff a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Our incoming salary for this role has been established using an equity lens and is based on relevant years of experience.
- The salary range for an incoming Apprentice Teacher is $55,000-$59,000 annually for the 22-23SY. This is our good faith range at the time of posting.
- We also offer a variety of additional compensation opportunities including pay for additional time worked and more.
- Additional training and professional development to support Apprentice Teachers becoming a full-time teacher.
Additionally, you can expect:
- A competitive and comprehensive benefits plan, covering up to 95% of the cost for employees and their families. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, employer paid disability and life insurance, parental leave benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time and paid holidays, professional development, continuing education scholarships, referral bonuses, employee assistance program (EAP), childcare assistance, a 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching, and more!
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, team cohesion, and shared responsibility for decision-making, development, and team-wide priorities
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
- Opportunities to sit on various committees and participate in initiatives central to key organizational decisions and strategic planning
- Our school-based staff also receive:
- Professional development: weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and ongoing coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive scholarship funds towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Our ESI Staff also have the opportunity to seek out and attend professional development, have a supervisor committed to their growth and development, and are eligible to apply to our staff scholarship program.
LOCATION AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Explore Schools is a network of 8 charter schools located in Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our schools are currently operating fully in-person. For this position:
- In-person work is required.
- This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime.
- The standard workweek is 45 hours, though at times you may work more. For non-exempt roles, employees are eligible for overtime for any work over 40 hours.
- This role requires that you be able to stand for at least 5 hours a day, take multiple trips up and down the stairs in a day, and move quickly in an emergency.
- As this is an in-person role in a DOE building, all staff members are required to follow the COVID-19 vaccine mandate. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to see a copy of the mandate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As discussed in our Who We Are section, Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is important to us that all staff members have a place of employment that is free of discrimination of all kinds and where staff can bring their authentic selves to work. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran, or military status. If any employee or applicant believes they have been discriminated against, they should let Rachel Modica-Russell or Tiffany Williams know immediately.