Mental Health Counselor
Queens , NY 11366
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
We are seeking an energetic, nurturing, and confident Mental Health Counselor for our Gersh Experience clients. This individual will conduct mental health assessments, develop individualized treatment plans, lead individual or group therapy sessions, run preventative mental wellness classes or workshops and make treatment referrals. The ideal candidate will be able to contribute to the development of a healthy, safe, and caring environment by providing emotional and social support to young adults.
Mental Health Counselor Duties and responsibilities:
- Counsel students to understand and articulate their feelings clearly and accurately
- Guide students to understand the causes and effects of behaviors
- Counsel students to develop insight into themselves and their relationships.
- Encourage students to identify and utilize appropriate coping strategies for negative feelings
- Counsel students on how to proceed and/or maintain focus through ambiguity, uncertainty and change
- Collect information about students through interviews, observation, or tests to gather information about their backgrounds, needs, or progress.
- Guide students in the development of skills or strategies for dealing with their problems.
- Develop and implement treatment plans based on clinical experience and knowledge.
- Monitor students' use of medications.
- Perform crisis interventions with students.
- Act as student advocate to coordinate required services or to resolve emergency problems in crisis situations.
- Modify treatment activities or approaches as needed to comply with changes in students' status.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counseling programs on students' progress in resolving identified problems and moving towards defined objectives.
- Meet with families, other mental health and health care providers, or other interested parties to exchange necessary information during treatment.
- Conducts assessments and evaluations in accordance with student goals
- Develop long-term and short-term intervention plans consistent with curriculum; students needs, strengths, diversity and life experiences; and social and emotional factors.
- Counsel family members to assist them in understanding, dealing with, or supporting students or patients.
- Learn about new developments in counseling by reading professional literature, attending courses and seminars, or establishing and maintaining contact with other social service agencies.
- Gather information about community mental health needs or resources that could be used in conjunction with therapy and refer students and family members to community resources or to specialists as necessary.
- Coordinate or direct employee workshops, courses, or training about mental health issues.
- Maintain confidentiality of records relating to students' treatment.
- Complete and maintain student-related paperwork, including federal- and state-mandated forms, student diagnostic records, and progress notes.
Mental Health Counselor Qualifications:
- Minimum of one year of relevant experience required
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Mental Health Counselor, Psychologist; (LSMW, LCSW, LMHC)
- Extensive knowledge of therapeutic treatment techniques and interventions
- Experience in therapeutic modalities related to young adults/adults including assessment and treatment of trauma
- Experience working with adults and/or young adults on the autism spectrum
- Must have both strong verbal and written communication skills
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development