Under the supervision of the Department of Nursing this position performs the receptionist and secretarial duties on the patient care unit; serves as the focal communication source in the nursing station through interaction with patients, visitors, staff, other departments and physicians; and assists the staff nurses in the treatment and care of patients in accordance with the established policies and procedures of the hospital. This employee demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span, to adequately assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to provide age-specific needs.
Essential Job Functions:
1.Demonstrates knowledge of basic infection control and standard precautions.
2.Provides and documents adequate personal care and oral care to patients.
3.Demonstrates correct collection, measurement and recording of voided and catheter urine output.
4.Correctly obtains clean void urine, stool, and other specimens and takes to lab in timely manner.
5.Demonstrates appropriate turning and positioning of patient in a timely manner.
6.Ambulate patients as ordered by M.D. in a safe manner.
7.Uses good body mechanics in providing patient care.
8.Responds to call lights promptly.
9.Reports abnormal patient findings to nurse immediately.
10. Able to accurately measure temperature, pulse, respirations, blood pressure and weight using stand up and bed scale.
11. Demonstrates correct use of equipment on medical-surgical unit.
12. Correctly documents intake and output.
13. Demonstrates simple nursing skills for all age groups of patients.
14. Manages heavy phone use effectively.
15. Knowledge of Rauland Call System and assists Nurse to triage patient calls coming through Rauland system.
16. Reviews MD orders and alerts nurse to any requiring immediate attention.
17. Alerts CNAs to collect newly ordered specimens/activities.
18. Correctly orders tests and procedures and related preps as ordered by M.D. in writing. (not routine)
19. Clarifies M.D. orders which are not clear, particularly when written in poor penmanship.
20. Orders adequate office and medical supplies used in nurse's station.
21. Maintains patient charts in proper order.
22. Maintains correct 24 hour census by discharging patients and making Medicare patient status changes, as ordered.
23. Assist with activities as directed by the Activity Director and in accordance with each resident's plan of care.
24. Be sure area to be used for activity is free.
25. Set areas up as needed for the type of activity planned.
26. Remind nursing staff of activities scheduled and patients who desire to participate.
27. Assist with transport of patients to the activity area.
28. Maintain Activity Record documenting the activity, time, duration, and response of the patient.
29. Uses good judgment in reporting information to nurse and physician.
30. Knowledge of medical terminology.
31. Adequately performs job during stressful situations.
32. Demonstrates ability to organize work and prioritize appropriately.
33. Demonstrates ability to follow oral and written instructions.
34. Demonstrates good customer service skills and compassion with patients, families, visitors, MD, staff, and other departments.
35. Demonstrates knowledge of and compliance with patient rights.
36. Maintains a high level of patient and employee confidentiality.
Harrison County Hospital