Oakland , CA 94619
Posted 1 week ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
Cartken is a startup at the forefront of last-mile delivery and autonomous robotics. Our team has experience solving some of the toughest challenges in autonomous vehicles, robotics, and operations at Google, Amazon, Apple, and Facebook. We have robots operating around the world providing reliable and cost-effective delivery in malls, kitchens, hotels, universities, and city streets. You can read more about Cartken here and here.
We are seeking a nimble Mechanical Engineer to join our fast-paced team. The ideal candidate is comfortable with ambiguity and able to prioritize work amongst multiple simultaneous projects.
You will perform a combination of hands-on prototyping, CAD design, build documentation, and supplier management. Additionally, you will have ownership of systems/subsystems of Cartkens next generation of robots, from initial concept through production and deployment.
You will be a significant force behind our system robustness and rigorously test our robots, as well as help deploy them at customer sites -- often traveling to do so. If you are passionate about robots and want to help apply state of the art technology to real world problems, you'll love working with us.
A successful candidate will have the ability to work both independently and with our multidisciplinary team in a high-growth startup environment. Were looking for someone who will work hard, have fun, and help us make history!
As a Mechanical Engineer you will:
- Collaborate with our distributed team to troubleshoot robot issues in the field.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to engineer robust and reliable solutions.
- Perform hands-on prototyping and testing to validate design concepts.
- Own components and subassemblies from initial concept through production and deployment.
- Create detailed CAD designs/drawings and use PDM/PLM to release parts and track changes.
- Build/maintain BOMs, SOPs, and other manufacturing documentation.
- Support builds at off-site partner facilities to ensure smooth product launches.
- Manage suppliers and ensure quality standards are met.
- Proficient written and spoken English.
- BS in Mechanical Engineering (or significant demonstrated project experience).
- 3+ years of 3D CAD experience (Solidworks preferred) with best practices for part design, configuration management, and working with large assemblies.
- Experience using PDM/PLM with knowledge of change control.
- Experience building and maintaining BOMs and SOPs.
- Familiarity with using 3D printers, laser cutters, and shop tools to create in-house prototypes.
- Ability to clearly communicate concepts through design reviews and presentations.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, able to prioritize work amongst multiple simultaneous projects and strong commitment to meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work from Cartkens Oakland, California office and travel up to 30% of the time.
- Team-player that is highly-motivated to resolve problems and help the team succeed.
- Experience sourcing suppliers/vendors through RFQs, and building relationships with them to ensure high quality parts and on time delivery.
- Experience using low volume prototyping techniques (vacuum forming, urethane casting, rotomolding, self-fixturing sheet metal parts, etc) to create functional and cosmetic parts.
- Experience designing and owning components/sub-assemblies in a mid to high volume robotics/automotive environment.
- Working knowledge of FEA, Statistical tolerance analysis, and GD&T.
- Experience working with Electrical engineers to design wire harnesses and package PCBs
- Experience working with Industrial Designers and knowledge of top-down design/master modeling best practices.