Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) has an opening for a Mid- to senior-level mechanical design engineering position in the Huntsville Hardware Engineering group of the NGMS Central Region Engineering, Science, and Technology (ES&T) matrix.
Position will support one or more projects performing mechanical design engineering for integration of Command and Control systems in support of Department of Defense programs. These projects include anti-artillery systems, air and missile defense components, wheeled and armored vehicles, tactical operations centers, air and missile defense, or security and warning systems, as well as associated activities. In addition to general design engineering duties, the employee will serve as a subject matter expert on environmental control/HVAC systems in tactical environments.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Creating designs for mechanical parts and assemblies to solve difficult technical problems or meet stringent performance requirements. Includes conceptual design, detailed design, 3D CAD modeling, 2D drawing draft/review/release.
- Developing mechanical or cross-disciplinary specifications for parts, assemblies, or subsystems, preliminary to performing design or letting development to vendors or subcontractors.
- Failure analysis and troubleshooting of environmental control system prototypes and production units
- Leading small to mid-sized design teams focused on developing technical solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Independently collaborating with and supporting other functional areas on various aspects of product design, including procurement, prototyping, production, testing, or logistics.
- Performing engineering analyses, such as weight and center of mass, structural, transportability, or thermal; as well as authoring reports documenting them.
- Development and maintenance of bills of material in support of design, production, proposal, or other business activities.
- Contributing to proposal efforts through authoring of technical subsections, development of bills of material, production of engineering cost and labor estimates, and other activities.
- Creating, delivering, and defending engineering briefings to support internal and external design reviews, including to company management and government customer representatives.
- Coordination, preparation and submittal of contract deliverable reports and technical data packages.
This requisition may be filled at a higher grade based on qualifications listed below.
This requisition may be filled at either a level 3 or a level 4.
Basic Qualifications for a Mechanical Engineer 3 are 5 Years experience with Bachelors in Science STEM degree; 3 Years experience with Masters; 0 Years experience with PhD.
Basic Qualifications for a Mechanical Engineer 4 are 9 Years experience with Bachelors in Science; 7 Years experience with Masters; 4 Years experience with PhD.
- 5 years of design experience using 3D CAD packages
- Subject-matter expertise in design, operation, and/or developmental testing of HVAC or other environmental control systems.
- Experience drafting and reviewing mechanical drawings to meet published standards
- Experience using engineering data management systems such as SmarTeam, TeamCenter, or PDM
- Experience working in a collaborative design team environment
- Demonstrated ability to design parts, assemblies, and subsystems to meet formal system requirements
- Demonstrated ability to lead technical teams solving challenging mechanical design problems to meet formal system requirements
- Self-motivated and able to work productively and independently in a schedule-driven environment with minimal supervision
- Able to manage and advance multiple assignments at once, while balancing competing demands for time and attention
- Good verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- 7 years of experience in 3D CAD, SolidWorks preferred
- Experience with electronics/payload/C2 integration design for military systems
- Thorough understanding of the design engineering process in support of defense systems acquisition
- Experience in a production/manufacturing environment
- Experience as a contributing or lead author for proposal technical volumes
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.