Mechanical Design Engineer
Wayne County , MI 48170
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
As the Mechanical Designer, you will be responsible for the daily operations of mechanical design. The successful candidate will design, support the build, and document mechanical drawings for various types of equipment from evac and fluid fill automated equipment for the automotive industry to industrial pumping systems. Will work as a contributing member of the Engineering team, able to review and red line mechanical drawings. The ability to prioritize workloads, balance multiple projects simultaneously, work cross-functionally, collaborate with internal stakeholders, and customers are some of the key components for this position.
The successful candidate will be committed to continuous development and engagement and will have the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships within our teams. The Mechanical Designer is responsible for current and future work and ensuring that equipment is designed to meet customer and company build specifications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prioritize and schedule work assignments to meet deadlines or as directed
- Designing and implementing cost-effective fluid fill equipment designs, pump systems, and/or modifications to existing designs
- Developing, testing and evaluating theoretical designs
- Discussing and solving complex problems with manufacturing departments
- Making sure a product can be made reliably and will perform consistently in specified operating environments
- Managing multiple project designs to complete on timeline and within budget using engineering principles and techniques
- Producing details of specifications and outline designs
- Using research, analytical, conceptual and planning skills, particularly mathematical modeling and computer-aided design
- Review and modifydrawings to ensure they meets customers specifications
- Review customer fabrication drawings and verify that proper material is specified for the design and application
- Create a BOM, obtain costs, and develop quotes for the customer fabrication designs
- Create piece part drawings for the fabrication team to the customers final design
- Assist the repair/production depts with technical support when needed.
- Consider the implications of issues such as cost, safety and time constraints
- Other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary
- Four (4) YEARS MINIMUM EXPERIENCE in process-related field and ideally with evac and fill experience.
- Experienced in moving overhead rail systems (Knight and Unified) and load analysis
- Understanding of elastomeric seal design (o-rings and valve systems)
- Experienced in taking field measurements and drawing plant layout
- Understanding of NFPA and hazardous area classifications Class 1 Div. 1/2
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred
- Ability to review the detail and 1A layout for the completion of the machine design
- Willing to work in an office and interface with shop floor as required
- Willing to work overtime when required (average hours per week are 40-55)
- Willing to travel when required (domestic and international)
- Experience with Customer interaction
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to conceptualize new design then follow through to completion
- Ability to specify fabrication materials (steel, alum, plastic, etc.)
- Ability to size cylinders, transmissions, and motor drives
- Ability to specify welding requirements
- Knowledge in electrical systems, design, etc.
- Knowledge in specifying machining requirements
- Must be able to prioritize work assignments as well as work within a collaborative and driven team environment