The Maintenance Supervisor is generally responsible for completing tasks that ensure the community meets all safety standards, site appearance standards and that all apartments, buildings, equipment and amenities are maintained in good working order. The Maintenance Supervisor participates in and supervises the process of preparing apartments for new residents, responding to and completing resident requests for maintenance and implements programs that promote a high-level of customer service. The Maintenance Supervisor oversees and ensures work quality of the maintenance team and performs all duties in compliance with all federal and state laws pertaining to the apartment industry including Fair Housing.
This position reports directly to the Community Manager and has supervisory responsibility over all maintenance employees, groundskeepers and housekeepers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Acts as a role-model to the maintenance staff and creates a positive work environment by leading the maintenance team in delivering and promoting excellent customer service and supporting the resident retention and maintenance goals of the community at all times.
2.Trains, schedules, develops and manages the performance of the maintenance team to ensure the maintenance goals of the community are being met. Ensures that the maintenance team complies with company policies and safety standards.
3.Assists the Community Manager to develop the annual operating budget for maintenance categories and manages the maintenance and apartment turnover expenses to ensure they stay within budget.
4.Performs community maintenance functions as a working supervisor in the areas of electrical, plumbing, heating, cooling systems (in compliance with EPA), painting, carpentry, masonry, roofing and fence systems repairs. Performs any and all maintenance tasks required of subordinates as necessary to ensure deadlines are met.
5.Conducts periodic inspections to ensure work quality and identifies maintenance needs of the community.
6.Develops community preventative maintenance programs and schedules and ensures that the apartment community assets are preserved and in good repair.
7.Schedules work, sets priorities, and assigns maintenance responsibilities in order to achieve site maintenance standards for resident satisfaction and efficiency.
8.Inspects, maintains and ensures repairs are performed on all company vehicles, power equipment and hand tools. Orders parts and supplies for equipment maintenance in accordance with community purchasing policies.
9.Manages the apartment turnover processes to ensure an adequate inventory of "sharp" apartments is available to meet the marketing and leasing efforts of the community. Schedules subcontractors or assists in the apartment turnover process as necessary. Inspects all "sharp" apartments to ensure they
are ready for new resident move-in.
10. Follows company and community procedures for purchasing and storing maintenance materials and supplies. Develops an inventory control system to ensure cost efficiency and effectiveness in materials on hand. Stays up-to-date on vendor services, products and pricing. Sets up and maintains maintenance shop and storage areas that are clean and organized.
11. Schedules maintenance team to handle emergency maintenance requests in the evenings, on weekends and holidays. Acts as back up for after-hours maintenance emergencies. Depending upon community size, may be regularly scheduled to respond to after-hours maintenance emergencies.
12. Adheres to community standards for community appearance and curb appeal. Directs the maintenance team and participates in maintaining cleanliness of grounds, building exteriors, curbs, breezeways and amenities.
13. Assesses maintenance team technical abilities and skill levels. Uses on-the-job training and performance management to develop team competencies so that they can take on greater responsibilities and are prepared for promotion.
14. Monitor the quality of all vendors and contractors and ensure scheduled work is completed on time.
15. Promote the company's safety standards. Conducts monthly safety meetings and inspections in accordance with company policies and procedures. Maintains Community Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Reports safety violations immediately to the Community Manager. Acts as a role model in following safety procedures and utilizing all safety equipment as necessary. Distributes all required safety equipment to new hires on first day of employment. Adheres to all laws related to the industry and maintenance field including Workers Compensation, OSHA and EPA laws.
16. Complies with all administrative procedures. Reviews and completes all maintenance forms accurately and in accordance with established community deadlines (i.e. time sheets, turnover cards, on-call logs, site inspection logs, service requests, pool logs, maintenance & cleaning checklists, etc.).
17. Ensures that all routine lighting inspections are completed and burnt-out bulbs are being replaced as necessary.
18. Participates in all mandatory training programs.
19. Responsible for possessing and maintaining personal hand tools, reporting to work on time as scheduled and in proper uniform.
20. May be required to assist at other Shelton-Cook communities as requested.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1.Ability to communicate effectively with Community Manager, Regional Portfolio Director, residents and subordinates.
2.Proven abilities and proficiency performing maintenance in all of the following areas: electrical, plumbing, appliance repair, carpentry, painting, pool maintenance & cleaning, carpet repair & replacement, roofing, furnace and air conditioning repair.
3.Excellent supervisory and training skills.
4.Excellent customer service skills.
5.Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with persons of diverse social, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
6.Ability to manage and lead a team to achieve maintenance and community goals.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1.A minimum of two years prior maintenance experience working in the apartment industry or similar industry.
2.HVAC Certification desired.
3.Valid driver's license.
4.High School diploma or GED (or equivalent work experience).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands of the job described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, bend, walk, sit, use hands and fingers to handle tools and controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs and ladders, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk and hear. The employee must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds individually and up to 200 pounds with assistance devices (i.e. hand trucks, dollies, additional persons, etc.) Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in an outdoor environment and is exposed to adverse weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment may be moderate to high.
Allison-Shelton Real Estate Services