This position provides instruction and other educational support such as case management to special needs students and assisting them in their academic and social development.
May 1, 2019 - June 3, 2019
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Preferred: High school math teaching experience.
LICENSURES, CERTIFICATIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Valid Illinois State Board of Education Professional Educator License with:
LBS1 Endorsement Grades 9-12 registered in Lake County (required).
Math Endorsement Grades 9-12 registered in Lake County (preferred).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1.Considerable knowledge of current best practices, laws, including due process and Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and interventions regarding the education of special needs students;
2.Considerable knowledge of specific disabilities and familiarity with common children's mental health disorders, as well as specific strategies/interventions to use in the classroom;
3.Knowledge of child development;
4.Knowledge of educational philosophy, teaching methods and approaches, and currently researched best practices and strategies;
5.Knowledge of educational testing;
6.Knowledge of learning theory, and students' learning styles and needs, both academic and affective;
7.Knowledge of Response to Intervention (RtI) and Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS);
8.Skill in accommodations and adaptations for visual impairments, including reading and writing Braille, using low-vision devices, and utilizing assistive technology for vision impairments is required for some positions;
9.Skill in classroom and behavior management;
10. Skill in interpersonal relations, especially regarding working as a member of a team;
11. Skill in interpersonal relationships, and the ability to work with students and staff in stressful situations;
12. Skill in organization, and in verbal and written communications;
13. Skill in signing, cued speech, and auditory-verbal areas is required for some positions;
14. Skill in the five real-life transition areas is required for some positions;
15. Skill in transitional service planning and remedial instruction;
16. Skill in utilizing computer technology for educational purposes, including word processing;
17. Skill in working with students having a wide range of disabilities;
18. Ability to apply the principles of Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) and Response to Intervention (RtI);
19. Ability to be flexible regarding meeting the changing needs of students, as well as the varying modifications to District and State mandates;
20. Ability to create a structured and efficient working environment for students;
21. Ability to develop and update curriculum, lesson plans and associated materials necessary to meet the unique needs of the special education students;
22. Ability to develop relevant assessment tools, and integrate the results of the assessments into instructional units;
23. Ability to teach a variety of students, with varying disabilities, a variety of classes;
24. Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
The following identifies the primary and essential functions of the position and is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all duties.
1.Attends various meetings, such as staff, building, parent, team and case management;
2.Communicates and provides consultation with team members, parents and guardians, the Special Education District of Lake County (SEDOL), and other outside agencies, regarding students, their interventions, medications, and programmatic needs;
3.Develops data collection and data management systems; entering data into proprietary and other computer databases; analyzing data, identifying student needs, and recommending quarterly classes based upon individual student needs;
4.Develops or utilizes assessment tools and progress reports, including the Illinois Interactive report cards;
5.Develops positive and trusting relationships with students; counseling students and reviewing transition activities with students; and providing job coaching for students regarding their community job placement activities;
6.Develops, adapts and implements curriculum and lesson plans and aligns curriculum with academic standards;
7.Ensures that teams are utilizing concepts of least restrictive environment and best practices with students;
8.On occasion, deals with student transportation issues such as transporting students in school vehicles, and serving as a contact regarding student problems on the school bus;
9.Participates in staff development activities;
10. Provides direct instruction using a variety of techniques including individualized instruction, lectures, team teaching, hands-on formats and other instructional strategies;
11. Provides for the management of student behavior, including implementing disciplinary procedures. Assists with the development of individualized intervention plans; writing and implementing conditional procedures; and modeling specific strategies for other instructional staff;
12. Provides for the safety of students including extreme weather, transportation, and unknown personnel; supervising students in building and on school grounds in areas other than the classroom, such as playgrounds, and as students board and disembark from school buses;
13. Works with Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) teams in the development of Individualized Education Plans (IEP); providing for IEP management and reevaluation; assisting with goal writing in accordance with regulations and procedures; and setting up and participating in IEP conferences;
14. May orders supplies and materials related to curriculum and instruction;
15. May provide in-service training to other staff;
16. May serve as a case manager with regard to transition planning and plans at the Middle School and High School levels;
17. May work with hearing impaired students on an itinerant basis;
18. Performs other related duties as required.
Apply online at http://www.applitrack.com/rlas/onlineapp/default.aspxv
Round Lake Area Schools