GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
In addition to performing routine installations, maintenance testing, calibrations, and repairing refrigeration systems, heating systems, air conditioning systems, related piping systems, and equipment prepares costing estimates to support a "Fee for Service"; or cost pay back special projects program, and in support of construction and renovation projects program.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Installs, maintains, tests and calibrates and makes repairs to refrigeration systems, heating systems, air conditioning systems, related piping systems and all related equipment.
2.Makes necessary adjustments and calibrations on pneumatic electric and electronic (DDC) control for HVAC systems.
3.Responds to all emergency situations as appropriate.
4.Reads and interprets blueprints (HVAC drawings) for various information such as pneumatic control and settings and locations.
5.Prepares material listing as required for work order requests and other routinely assigned tasks.
6.Responsibilities may involve participating in planning activity at departmental level or assisting in the development of solutions to specific problems.
7.Maintains a safe and clean work environment in areas of Engineering Department responsibility (areas as assigned).
8.Responds to phone calls from all areas of the hospital as assigned by supervisor or
9.Communicates with other employees and management on necessary information regarding mechanical systems including duct, pipe, controls and ventilating systems..
10. Maintains appropriate records of testing and/or assigned tasks.
11. Performs brazing and soldering on piping systems.
12. Installs pre-fabricated sheet metal duct work for HVAC systems.
13. Performs testing, balancing and adjustments for air distribution systems.
14. Maintain records of all HVAC equipment.
15. Prepare daily work schedules and assigns tasks to licensed and unlicensed HVAC, Technicians, ensuring efficient utilization of work hours and individual skills.
16. Performs the duties and responsibilities for the supervisor in his absence.
17. Meets with representative of requester department to assess and prepare estimates for construction, renovation, and/or modernization type projects.
18. Visits all work sites on a regular basis to ensure that all work is progressing on schedule.
19. Participates in establishing training programs relative to HVAC.
20. Functions as lead worker in multiple person project crews. As such, assumes, responsibility for team member task assignment, work quality and timely completion of project.
21. May be required to carry the on-call pager.
22. May be required to work weekends or rotating shifts.
23. Required to perform all other duties as assigned.
1.Must be able to read, write and perform arithmetic calculations at a level generally acquired through a high school education.
2.Three years of formal HVAC/refrigeration apprenticeship training required.
3.Licenser in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts required.
4.Requires at least three to five years experience as a licensed HVAC technician.
5.Requires CFC Certification.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1.Requires interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively and to cooperate with staff throughout the hospital. Must be able to clearly explain HVAC/Refrigeration issues to other personnel.
2.Required the ability to read and interpret blueprints, diagrams and equipment specifications.
3.Requires analytical skills to evaluate HVAC/Refrigeration systems and to develop appropriate solutions to problems.
4.Requires physical ability to lift over 30 lbs. (less than 15% of the time).
5.Requires technical knowledge of installation and repair of refrigeration equipment and knowledge of testing and calibrating systems.
6.Requires knowledge or related supplies and equipment.
7.Requires the ability to work independently. Refers to supervisory staff for clarification or exception to established policies and procedures.
1.May occasionally (less than 20% of the time) get involved in a dirty and hazardous environment in the performance of duties.
2.May be required to work in a confined space or in a containment booth.
3.May be required to wear a respirator.
In the absence of the HVAC supervisor, supervise and oversee shop activities.