St. Louis , MO 63101
Posted 3 weeks ago
This Job is not relevant Tell us why
*This position is with St.Louis Public Schools*
Hours: Monday -Friday 8am-5pm
Pay Rate: 30.11 per hour
Under the general direction of the General Counsel, this position is responsible for providing complex, technical, specialized and confidential legal office support. The Legal Assistant performs multifaceted, sensitive, and high-level secretarial duties related to the functions of the District, and performs legal administrative tasks, legal research, and office management duties in the Office of the General Counsel.
This class specification lists the major duties and requirements of the job and is not all-inclusive. Incumbent(s) may be expected to perform job-related duties other than those contained in this document and may be required to have specific job-related knowledge and skills.
- Creates and maintains status and records of all cases, including but not limited to litigation, mediations, arbitrations, Charges of Discrimination, and Office for Civil Rights complaints.
- Acts as receptionist and receives and screens visitors and telephone calls and directs the caller to the proper person or personally handles the call.
- Maintains the highest levels of confidentiality and thoroughness in reviews of production and document requests for personnel records, student records, Sunshine Act document production, and other files as needed. Reviews documents to be produced in response to records requests and redacts confidential information. Efficiently maintains a calendar of due dates and provides timely, efficient and concise responses to requests for information and documents.
- Assists with hearing preparation.
- Assists with maintenance of Workers Compensation claims and assists legal counsel in monitoring of cases from incident to settlement.
- Assists with maintenance of unemployment claims, protests, and appeals, and, when directed by legal counsel, generates and files protests of claims and notices of appeals.
- Communicates professionally and urgently to calls, emails and other inquiries from principals, directors and managers, staff, and union representatives.
- Transcribes, prepares records, letters, memoranda and other documents from rough draft into legal form.
- Proofreads and checks materials for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with procedures, policies and regulations.
- Creates and edits documents and composes general correspondence as needed by General Counsel.
- Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources for the completing of documents for internal and external cases.
- Assists with management of various projects, including delegating COVID contact tracing case assignments
- Coordinates and implements administrative projects such as process/procedure improvement in support of management and the organization.
- Oversees and personally performs a variety of office administrative details such as ordering supplies, arranging for the repair of equipment, transmitting information, and keeping reference materials up to date; arranges meetings and maintains and manages calendars and files.
- Accesses confidential data networks to review and print reports and records needed for case files and production requests.
- Develops and assists with ongoing training sessions for employees regarding District policies and procedures and legal compliance.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all federal and state statutes regarding public employees and federal employment regulations.
- Exercises impeccable judgment and confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the General Counsel.
*Must be fully vaccinated and be willing to provide proof of vaccination*
- 10 or more years of professional level Human Resources experience in a corporate or school setting.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of board policies/regulations, federal employment regulations, and state statutes regarding public employees.
- High school diploma/GED; AND
- Four (4) years of experience in providing legal office support; OR and equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Bachelors Degree strongly preferred
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, external organizations and/or colleagues.
- Ability to perform general office duties such as typing and operating office machines.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of legal office terminology, forms, documents and procedures.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of record keeping.
- Knowledge of applicable regulations, policies and statues; office administrative practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of human resources, spreadsheet, contact management and word processing software.
- Skill in performing technical, specialized, complex, legal office support work.
- Skill in organizing, maintaining and researching office files.
- Skill in using initiative and independent judgment with established procedural guidelines.
- Ability in organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.