Chestnut Hill , MA 02467
Posted 6 days ago
About WS Development
Massachusetts-based WS Development is a mixed-use developer with a singular mission: creating places people want to be. With an approach that values art, science, innovation and, above all else, people, WS strives to engage each community it serves with best-in-class installations and activations. Established in 1990, WS is a vertically-integrated company that conceptualizes, owns, operates and leases more than 100 properties that range from cutting-edge urban spaces to lifestyle and community centers. With over 20 million square feet of existing space and an additional five million square feet under development, it is one of the largest privately-owned development firms in the country.
WS is where great ideas and great people come together to design, build, and operate some of the best loved real estate projects in the country. We live at the intersection of entrepreneurship and establishment. We have the infrastructure of decades supporting a culture of free-thinking excellence.
We expect every WS employee to feel welcomed and valued irrespective of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background and life experiences. Or for any other reason.
A successful Leasing Representative will help to maximize the leasing potential of the Company's shopping center portfolio by analyzing, planning and implementing leasing strategy to attain the financial and tenant mix objectives of shopping center ownership. Representing WS to existing and prospective tenants, brokers and other outside contacts in a positive and professional manner, this is a great opportunity to continue and grow your leasing career.
What to expect:
- Understand the key characteristics of the Companys shopping center portfolio. Thoroughly understand and continually reassess characteristics of assigned shopping centers, including physical condition, demographic composition, market rental rates, co-tenancy, trade area competition and traffic patterns.
- Compile and use data to target, attract and finalize leases with appropriate tenants by convincingly presenting benefits of the Company shopping centers, maintaining credibility, and understanding and matching tenant requirements with shopping center attributes.
- Research, analyze and make recommendations concerning prospective tenants for assigned shopping centers based on credit/financing impact, tenant mix, and return on investment. Pursue national, regional and local tenants within the targeted use categories via regular and systematic canvassing, cold calling, and networking.
- Identify, qualify, originate, and negotiate terms and conditions of new and renewal retail lease transactions, generally under 40,000 s.f., for in-line and freestanding units within the Company's shopping center portfolio. Work closely with tenant representatives, attorneys and brokers, following through to completion of the final lease document.
- Fully document the nuances of each prospective deal. Regularly communicate with ownership and other functional areas of the Company via lease logs, regular leasing report updates, and in person to ensure accurate understanding of leasing status and opportunities.
- Facilitate the coordination and negotiation of initial tenant and landlord construction requirements with tenants and the Company tenant construction coordinator and/or development department.
- Negotiate commission agreements with outside brokers, obtaining approval of ownership as necessary.
- Provide budget re/forecast information to ensure that the budget realistically reflects projected leasing activity.
- Attend ICSC convention meetings to develop and maintain tenant contacts and promote leasing opportunities.
- Maintain the confidentiality of records, contracts, files, correspondence and all matters in which this position is involved.
Immediate Opportunity/Initial Success:
There are a wide range of objective and measurable ways you can enjoy immediate wins as you join WS. You will have the opportunity to drive towards success indicated by lease transactions completed, measured in terms of quantity (square footage leased, rental revenue generated, commission income produced, and number of transactions completed); quality (financial/operational strength and long-term viability of tenant, return on investment, terms and conditions of lease satisfactory to ownership, and tenant mix); and effort (work ethic, tenacity, initiative, resourcefulness, flexibility and commitment to improving leasing results). You will have the opportunity to learn to understand terms and conditions of the lease document from the perspectives of both landlord and tenant and competently negotiate various fallback positions to the form document. And you will exercise foresight in evaluating leasing situations and predetermining alternate courses of action.
Potential for Growth/Longer Term Success:
As you continue to learn the leasing landscape, youll be able to develop a network both in and outside of WS where you will have the opportunity to become a trusted resource across a wide range of areas and stakeholders. You will become a collaborator with shopping center ownership and senior management and a trusted teammate and advisor to not only our leasing department, but across the organization. Externally, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with and advise third party ownership representatives and company and third-party attorneys while negotiating with and advising tenants, tenant attorneys, and brokers.
- Experienced negotiator with a minimum of 1 year of sales/leasing experience. Proven negotiating ability as evidenced by quantity and quality of retail leases completed. Established working relationships with national tenant representatives in the 1500-15,000 sf range is required.
- Understanding of the lease document and expertise in originating, negotiating and completing new and renewal leases for in-line and freestanding locations within existing open-air centers and new developments.
- Ability to prepare market analysis, define market rental rates, and determine ideal tenant mix.
- Proven ability to canvass, cold call and qualify prospective regional and local area tenants.
- Possess a desire and necessity to travel and get in front of tenants around the country to drive and expedite deals.
- Tenacity, integrity and professional business demeanor.
- Efficient organizational and time management skills are required. Must be skilled at juggling multiple priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential. Ability to articulate detailed, formal proposals to seasoned real estate executives and attorneys as well as discuss key business terms with local "mom and pop" tenants. Ability to work effectively with a variety of personalities.
- Excellent and work styles while projecting a calm, efficient, and professional manner.
- Practical knowledge of computer operation is required. Familiarity with Windows, Word, Excel, Outlook and MRI (property management software) is a plus.
- Exercise positive team approach to problem solving.
- Possess philosophy, values and personal work style compatible with the Company culture.
- Earn the respect of co-workers and the retail tenant, brokerage and development communities
- Bachelors degree is required.