Lead Medical Technologist - Microbiology - Wellsboro - Full-Time
Wellsboro , PA 16901
Posted 1 week ago
At UPMC Wellsboro our Lead Medical Technologist plays an indispensable role in providing the very best care for our patients. We rely on their skills and knowledge to perform accurate laboratory testing which is critical in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. This is a day shift position which includes working every third weekend and a rotating holiday schedule.
If you're a Microbiology Medical Technologist interested in building a meaningful career, UPMC could be your next step. We offer a competitive wage, a generous total rewards benefit package and career ladder opportunities. If this sounds like a good fit for you, we invite you to apply today!
This position assists the Laboratory Supervisor by monitoring the work of technical and ancillary employees. The Lead Medical Technologist assists in test development, gathering data for management reports and regularly performs the duties of a Medical Technologist, including the accurate performance of routine and advanced testing.
This position functions as the Laboratory Supervisor during the Supervisor's absence. Assures compliance with the UPMC mission and values for providing service excellence.
- ACT AS A SUPERVISOR DESIGNATE
- Assumes supervisory duties and performs `in charge' duties as needed. Evaluates problems in the absence of the Supervisor and solves those that are possible.
Communicates problems with the Laboratory Supervisor, Manager or Director as appropriate. Participates in an extensive administrative call rotation with the other supervisory staff (only for Tissue Typing Laboratory).
- Assists supervisory personnel in the observation and documentation of laboratory staff competency. Completes all assigned duties within the required time frame.
- All duties of a Medical Technologist. Ensures that instrument maintenance and/or function checks are performed and documented accurately, according to procedure.
Troubleshoots instrument malfunctions and informs the Laboratory Supervisor, Manager or Director of problems. Reviews QC logs. Documents and brings to the attention of the Laboratory Supervisor, Manager or Director any errors, omissions or discrepancies in QC.
Compiles QA data and prepares reports as directed by the Laboratory Supervisor, Manager or Director. Monitors proficiency testing activity and assists the Director with evaluation of results and documentation of responses to deficiencies. Assists the Laboratory Supervisor or Manager with staff scheduling as directed.
- SERVE AS A ROLE MODEL
- Maintains confidentiality regarding patient, hospital and laboratory business. Interacts professionally with other departments.
Represents the Laboratory on Hospital committees as needed. Adheres to abnormal and/or critical results reporting policy and turn-around-time policy. Participates in and monitors quality assurance indicators.
Adheres to personal appearance standards and displays hospital ID badge. Telephone / Internet privileges are followed according to policy. Complies with attendance and tardiness policy.
Helps to monitor subordinate attendance and tardiness. Adheres to the compliance policy and serves as a resource for subordinate questions. Adheres to all safety policies as outlined in the Laboratory Safety Manual.
- PURCHASING AND INVENTORY
- Demonstrates awareness of appropriate inventory levels in all relevant sections of the laboratory. Takes action to prevent supply shortages or overages. Performs purchasing of supplies in the absence of the Laboratory Supervisor or Manager as directed.
- TRAINING, DEVELOPMENT AND EDUCATION
- New procedures are mastered within established time frames. Demonstrates awareness of changes in procedures and protocols.
Performs orientation and training assignments in an organized, thorough manner. Serves as a resource to other employees by sharing knowledge of procedures or testing outcomes when consulted. Develops, performs and/or evaluates special projects.
Performs test evaluations and validations of new procedures and/or reagent systems. Formulates, authors and/or revises procedures according to CLSI guidelines. Prepares and delivers student lectures and bench instruction where relevant
Three years experience as a Medical Technologist required, including two year's experience in the host laboratory preferred.
One years experience in Histocompatibility in an ASHI accredited laboratory required. (only for Tissue Typing Laboratory).
For NY locations/laboratories holding NY state licensures ONLY: Six years clinical lab experience required
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
ASCP or equivalent certification in medical technology (MT) or categorical certification required.
Certification as a Histocompatibility Technologist (CHT) by the American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI) required (only for Tissue Typing Laboratory).
New York license required for NY locations.
Act 31 Child Abuse Reporting with renewal Act 33 with renewal Act 34 with renewal Act 73 FBI Clearance with renewal
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran